Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to download and convert RTF/DOC file in DMS into PDF file

LN1
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello.

We're on ECC6.0. We have a requirement to get the *.doc or *.rtf file checked in DMS, convert it to pdf format and download it as *.pdf file. The document data is stored in DRAO-ORBLK (LRAW data type). Has anyone programmatically done this? What is the process to achieve this? I've read in the forum that you should first convert RTF(.doc) data to OTF format using CONVERT_RTF_TO_ITF and then you will get the script format from rtf data. Generate the spool using the script data. Convert the spool to PDF using CONVERT_OTFSPOOLJOB_2_PDF. However, the fm CONVERT_RTF_TO_ITF uses RAW data type. There's also fm CONVERT_OTF_2_PDF but I don't know how to implement this for my purpose.

Also, if Adobe Distiller is installed on the SAP application server, can it be used from an ABAP pgm?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

based on your description I would suggest you to first trigger a conversion process in your R/3 system and in a second step copy the new converted file to your PC.

For conversion I would recommend you to use the conversion logic with workflows as explained in note

687199. Here you have to define a conversion in your customizing which could be triggered also by status change.

After the conversion is done you should be able to copy the new converted PDF file to your PC by using a BADI implementation of BADI_DOCUMENT_STATUS01 maybe.

Best regards,

Christoph

LN1
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response, Christoph. I'm still unsure if I would be able to implement it that way but will note as a possible solution. Basically, the functionality required will be initiated from an online report from EH&S module (tcode CGE2) that will list WWI-generated reports (tcode CG50/CG54) stored in DMS as *.rtf's / doc type 'SBR' and user will choose to download them as *.pdf''s...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Maria,

Have you found a solution for this? I'm trying to convert RTF documents to PDF too..

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have you tried SEAL systems solution for data converting? I have set up SAP's standard solution for this but that was way back and I don't really remember how I did it. I now that SEAL have a solution for this because I looked at it when I worked with the Issue. It was only for a demo system so that was the reason for not using there solution.

The SAP standard solution only handles a small number of formats. To be able to convert to PDF you have to have Adobe on the server. I hade the problem that my version of adobe didn't support a 64 bit OS. Or at least the part that the converter uses did not support a 64 bit system.

Best regards,

Kristoffer Pehrson

Former Member
0 Kudos

Christopher,

Thanks for all your postings and the Wiki on DMS.

Where can we find the free converter all2text ? we tried to download the conversion server but failed to do so . Please let us know how to download the same. Please share the access details ( password etc ) for the ftp site.

If we want to develop our converter application ( to convert vector graphics to a CGM file ) then where can we find help with the development and who can help us.

Appreciate your response.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

in EHS you can use WWI to convert WWI documents (rtf) to PDF.

WWI has a user exit "PrintUserExit" where you can call a PDF conversion tool for this purpose. e.g. TechniData offers corresponding implementations.

Furthermore when using this user exit and EhP 3 you can have EHS convert the reports to PDF for display on the fly. in EhP 3 there is an option to route all WWI generation to the WWI server rather than the front-end.

Best regards,

Christian

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Satya,

you can download the sample converter files from the following link:

https://sapmats-de.sap-ag.de/download/download.cgi?id=7JDMHMTAB1JCL99NGPI5WH1U9LD7O5P102WTZGSV0MBNSC...

Best regards,

Christoph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christain,

could you tell me please how can i convert rf (Word document) to PDF in EHS?.

can you send me any documentation?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We do this in my company, the best tool converter for doc, xls, ppt is office 2007, with save as function in a script.

We try others and this is the best.

Regards

Sebastien

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

how to implement user exits is described in the IMG for EHS WWI.

If you'd like to purchase a ready for use implemented exit you may contact TechniData.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all ,

I want to convert word file to text file using converter in DMS.In configuration part it is showing a error message

163: Incorrect program in RFC Destination in CONVERTER-CONV_UTIL_DEST** and status is connection error

Mainly the problem here is that i want to make some settings in in customization - maintain converter and define conversation .Please let me know if you have any solution

Regards,

Sonu

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Kindly set the default application while configuring document type in DC10 as .pdf

Also make setting in DC20 as type "PC" and default as .pdf

Hope this may help.

Regards,

Ravindra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravindra,

First i want to say thanku for giving me a reply .Before that I already given the default application is .TEXT and data carrier is PC with default .TEXT .Even it is showing the error .

In maintain converter i want to give some conversion help program while configuring .I have no idea about that

which conversion program i need to give in settings .Can i give the test client there.Pls help me it is needful

Regards,

Sonu

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Please go through this url,

This urls says, regarding DOC to TXT conversion in SAP DMS. Please install respective converter ie RTF to PDF, DOC to PDF etc.. and follow the test run as mentioned in url.

General costamization for convertion

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/en/c1/1c31a243c711d1893e0000e8323c4f/frameset.htm

Custamization

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/wiki?path=/display/plm/conversion+customizing

Convertion basic defination

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/wiki?path=/display/plm/document+conversion

Manual convertion procedure

1.Process the document, such as by Logistics -> Central Functions -> Document Management -> Document ->Change).

2.In the Basic Data screen set the status that is used in the conversion specification.

3.Save your document.

The system starts the conversion process. It checks which workstation application is set in the conversion specification.

Result

You can control the results of the conversion in the following ways:

u2022Display the messages from the application log.

u2022Display the document info record.

A visual result appears where the system displays a list of the original application files from the document info record.

Benakaraj ES

??