cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to keep track of the licenses sold for our software?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I work for a software company which sells the license keys along with the product. The number of licenses bought by each customer will depend on their requirement and so it is variable. We are trying to set up SAP Business One database at our company for accounting purposes. How can we maintain the license information for each customer?

We considered serial number management as an option for this issue. So we thought we can assign the license number as a serial number to the item. But we realized that we have to inventory to be able to assign the serial number to the items. Then I guess we have to first create a goods reciept for these serial numbers before creating the sales order. But it does not seem correct to create the goods reciept because we are not getting it from any 3 rd party vendor. So I feel serial number management is not the right way maintaining the licenses.

Can anybody please help me to solve this issue?

Thanks much,

Sudha

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sudha,

If you have your own software, then your don't need to go through Goods Receipt PO to receive it from the third party. But you can use Goods Receipt or Production order to your inventory to sell.

It should be helpful to you to use serial number management as an option. Go ahead to do this way. You are on the right rack.

Thanks,

Gordon.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sudha,

Unless you treat the License as an Item it would not be quite possible to track how much a Customer Actually bought. This is also True if you sell many different types of licenses.

If you do not want to track profitability on each license then you can define the Item just as a Sales Item (uncheck inventory and purchase) and Invoice the Customer by selecting the License Item.

There are a couple of different ways you could handle this but it will depend on how your accounting department / your Controllers like to see the profitability

Suda