cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exact, precise positioning of Objects

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have an application that needs to be very precise in the positioning of a text object (so that OCR can read it). As an example, I can position an object at x=3.5 inches but I need to position at x=3.53. I use the "Size and Position" dialog box and enter x=3.53. Get out of the dialog, go back in and it has changed to 3.52, Get out and in and now it is 3.51. Once at 3.5 it stays at 3.5. Position seems to work well at 1/10 of an inch but I need 1/100 of an inch. Snap to Grid & Free-Form Placement Options can be on or off - no difference.

This is my first post.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

James Terry You sent a reply via email with discussion regarding setting the grid to 0.01 inches (which is 1/100 of an inch). When I sent grid to 0.01" and moved them manually without using "Size and Position" dialog window, the objects stayed where they needed. Going in and out "Size & Position" does cause it to move. But by forcing 0.01" with snap turned on, I GOT WHAT I NEEDED! James: put in a response and then I can award points and mark this answered.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here's your response Andy.

Glad to be of help.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you James for the "thinking out of the box" approach. I was hopeful that your test would trigger a solution. I did try what you asked and the problem is the same. Grid on or off with a new report acts the same. Each time I get in and out of the Size and Position Dialog window x=2.260 changes to 2.250... and you can forget about 2.255. Oh, and the printer that is defined is a typical laser so 2.26 can easily be printed by the laser printer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does this hold true if you turn OFF File | Options | Layout Tab | Snap to Grid and try the same thing with a NEW report?

Normally File | Report Options take effect on the report you have open immediately after making the change.

File | Options take effect on any newly created reports from that point forward.