cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few questions about Data Services functionality

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hopefully someone can answer a few questions that came up during a meeting with a client of mine.

1. I need to be able to process and incoming XML file which will have filenames in it. I need to be able to check a directory to see if those files exist. If not, I need to reject the XML file.

2. Is there a way to move file types such as pictures etc with custom transfer option?

3. My client wants to do data validation. Most likely I would use the Data Validation transform. They also want to make the business rules defined in the transform visible to its customers, perhaps by a web page. My question is this, is there a way to build a universe on top of the repository to make these rules viewable or a different way of doing so?

Thanks for any answers you can provide.

Cheers,

Scott Smith

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. I need to be able to process and incoming XML file which will have filenames in it. I need to be able to check a directory to see if those files exist. If not, I need to reject the XML file.

Yes, should be possible. We have a file_exists() function to check if a files exists in a certain location.

2. Is there a way to move file types such as pictures etc with custom transfer option?

We have added support for BLOB (Binary Large OBjects) in Data Integrator/Data Services XI 3.0, so we can move binary objects like pictures (from database to database, file to file, file to database, ... any combination).

3. My client wants to do data validation. Most likely I would use the Data Validation transform. They also want to make the business rules defined in the transform visible to its customers, perhaps by a web page. My question is this, is there a way to build a universe on top of the repository to make these rules viewable or a different way of doing so?

We have the validation dashboard in the Management Console that show the results of the validation transform in a nice way. These results are also stored in a repository table (AL_QD_* tables) so that you can access it via any reporting tool. What's NOT easily accessible though is the real technical rule, but for a business user, I'm assuming the name of the rule and the description are more important that the technical formula behind ?

If you really need the technical rule behind, check this post with a way to get it :