cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arabic text doesn't render properly when export to PDF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am having problem with exporting Arabic text to pdf and it doesn't render properly. The whole content render properly expcet the white space; the funny charater has been replaced to white space.

Does any one having that problem?

Note: I have tested with using both Crystal Report Designer XI and Crystal Report 2008 which come out same result.

Thanks,

Yin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yin

Would suggest you to confirm one thing

-Fonts must be available on the platform where the PDF file is viewed, or substitute fonts will be displayed;

Regards

Asha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Asha,

Thank you for your reply.

I used arial font to generate pdf.

And the strange thing is the problem only occure in generating pdf. Export to excel, html looks fine.

Thanks,

Yin

Edited by: Yin Min Phyu on Oct 10, 2008 2:09 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think what Asha meant was to get the fonts onto the pdf too. That should resolve the issue as it does not look like crystal. Well it seems it is to do with fonts in pdf.

What version of pdf and in what language are you using it?

Regards

J

Former Member
0 Kudos

The standard Arial font was properly embed to pdf.

I do think it is something to do with Crystal rendering to pdf because when I create the arabic text from excel file to PDF, it is come out all right. And I tried with SQL reporting service as well and it come out all right.

The pdf version I am using is Adobe Reader 8. If it is something to do with pdf, the same problem should occure while generating pdf from SQL Reporting service or Excel to PDF.

It is just really annoying that the text from chart come out all right. It only happening for the paragraph.

Former Member
0 Kudos

How are you writing paragraphs? is it in one single text object?

To be honest I am running out of options here because whatever I thought its none of those so I might have to find out somewhere else how to resolve your issue.

Regards

J

Just a thought did you use " " or '' in your code because " " means empty in crystal and '' means empty in sql both things take differently.

also could you please check if your report options has "convert other null values to default" is unchecked?

Regards

jehanzeb

Edited by: Jehanzeb Navid on Oct 10, 2008 3:11 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just One single text object.

Sorry I was typing the formula. I used both " " and ChrW(32).

Thanks you for taking so much time to resolve the issue.

If I can't find solution, my last option is to generate as HTML report which I am not very keen.

Thanks,

Yin

Edited by: Yin Min Phyu on Oct 10, 2008 3:17 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok the character which is coming up onto the pdf can you replicate that into the formula? or is that character/symbol not even in your keyboard or character list?

Former Member
0 Kudos

It isn't even on the character list or on my keyboard. I couldn't find that charater in charater map either.

I sent you the chart i produced from crystal and you will find that charater hasn't show up on the graph.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok what if you create a single object (text) type only 2 words with space. Conver it into pdf and see if that comes up with the same // symbol

Former Member
0 Kudos

I did as your suggestion, single object text with two words and space betwen the words and the funny character is gone.

So any idea?

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok try this, type the whole paragraph but only one space between each word.

So it would be like this

Hello What is your name. Hello Hello Hello

Don't put more than one space and try it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sadly it is still showing up

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok another way of doing this would be to create a formula and then type the whole paragraph there and place the formula into the report and see if that produces the same text spacing character.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi J,

No, it is doing the same thing.

Did I mention that on the crystal report preview, it looks fine.

If you don't mind, can you try this as well in your crystal report?

Thanks,

Yin

Edited by: Yin Min Phyu on Oct 10, 2008 4:12 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mine works perfectly.

I just sent you an email with attachment.

I copied the text put into text object under Report footer of the new report and export into pdf.

CR - 2008

Adobe Acrobat 8 professional.

Regards

Jehanzeb

Former Member
0 Kudos

SP0 download it from here

[http://resources.businessobjects.com/support/additional_downloads/service_packs/crystal_reports_en.asp#CR2008]

Regards

J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Morning Yin,

Did you have any luck with the download? The link I sent you does not need to download using username and password.

Additionally I doubt if your company would know what your username and password is for SAP as you got to request SAP to get one.

here is the link to the registration page.

[https://websmp130.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/new_user_pass/infouser_request.htm]

Register yourself first and then you will receive the username and password for it.

Hope this helps

Regards

Jehanzeb

Former Member
0 Kudos

Morning Jehanzeb

Just finished installation for SP1 and right now my pc is so slow I can't even move the mouse pointer.

I will get back to you very soon.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hmm I wonder if SP1 will resolve the issue as I mentioned in my earlier post it did not work for me. Lets see if that works for you. I thought SP0 would do the trick.

Anyhow, I guess you need a faster pc. you just reminded me when I had a slower pc when I started the job, then I asked the company if they need reports published they need to buy a pc I told them to buy. In 2 days time the new shinny pc was on my desk )).

Will wait for your reply touch wood everything should be fine after this

Regards

Jehanzeb

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi J,

I couldn't find SP0 from XI release 2. So I thought SP1 is the first ever SP for XI release 2.

After installing SP1 for XI 2, tried to generate the pdf and it is still the same.

So now I am downloading SP0 from 2008 version and figer cross....

Yin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes! Sorry I thought we were talking about Crystal Reports 2008 first. XIR2 has SP1 not SP0.

It is strange that you have not able to fix the issue eve installing the Service packs. If the SP0 for CR2008 does not resolve the issue, I would suggest to uninstall Crystal totally from your pc and reinstall using SP0. This might get rid of the old registry keys of CR 08 and might help you resolving the issue.

Regards

Jehanzeb

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have removed Crystal Report XI R2 and as well as Crystal Report 2008 from my pc.

I installed Crystal Report XI R1 and see whether it has the same problem or not. Surprisingly, the report come out all right.

Now I am reinstalling XI R2 right. Hopefully it will work.

Yin

Former Member
0 Kudos

There you go, it must be a glitch somewhere. Usually strange things appear in Crystal which no one can answer.

That is why it is called "Crystal". )

Regards

Jehanzeb

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is working perfectly now.

Thanks for everything.

Yin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not a problemo!

))

Regards

Jehanzeb

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

I encounter the same problem. It seems this problem start from CR XI SP1 and still in all later versions.

To avoid this issue, I export the report to word doc, then use Microsoft office word library to export the word doc to PDF. The final result looks fine, but low performance.

For web application, I created a server windows service to export from doc to PDF.

I hope it will be fixed in next version.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have the Same problem that happened with Yin but in a more stranger behavior . when i export 2~ 4 Pages in Arabic everything goes ok . but when i export a lot of pages . . Spaces between words are replaced with a character similar to Dash character . Can anyone help me ? i am using crystal reports XI R2 and running on windows 2003 .

Thanks a lot ..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ka_1900,

Have you solve that problem.

I finally found the problem. It is not the actual problem with crystal report. It is actaully in the arabic text (in my case). There were extra ً characters in the actual content which you can't really see it in Microsoft word or excel etc. If you find and replace that charater with blank then all work fine.

Yin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have the same problem with exporting arabic text to pdf.

I'm usign CR 2008 SP3, all arabic fonts are installed on my machine.

I found out that these special arabic characters ('Diacritics') cause the problem. They are needed to show short vowels and consonant length.

If I remove these characters, the pdf-export works fine.

The problem is, that I have to use these characters in my text.

Any Idea?

Your help is highly appreciated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hellow Former Member

I am suffering from this problem ..

Do u  have any solution for this ,

I know that this is due to the " ً   "

Message was edited by: Noufel MK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any idea or suggestion to get around to it?

The strange thing is if I exported to excel or html, it work fine. Only exporting to pdf is having rendering problem.

Edited by: Yin Min Phyu on Oct 10, 2008 9:50 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is the sign which is coming up? any screenshot would help understand what exactly happening.

maybe you can use a formula to avoid that in your report?

Regards

Jehanzeb

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jehanzeb,

Thank you so much for your reply.

As I can't upload any image in here, I have email a pdf to your account.

I also try to use formula to replace that character but it doesn't work.

Thanks,

Yin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Yin, I did receive the email however I am wondering how did you use the formula?

Can you post the formula you tried to replace this?

Many thanks

Regards

Jehanzeb

Edited by: Jehanzeb Navid on Oct 10, 2008 12:31 PM

Try the following formula this might help

Replace (({Field.Table}), chrw (13) & chrw (10), " ")

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jehanzeb,

Thanks for your email and formula as well.

That character is actually white space. So what I did is Replace (({Table.Field}), chrw(32), '') and I also tried Replace (({Table.Field}), '', chrw(32)) .

The other way I tried is replace all the space with html code   and select HTML text in text interpretation.

And it still doesn't work.

I am using both Crystal Report XI 2 and Crystal Report 2008

P.S. I have tried your fomula as well and it still doesn't work.

Thanks Yin