Error webservice 91
I have a message saying
"Cannot download the dimension list from server. [ErrCheck] An error occured while checking an error from webservice. 91: Object reference not set to an instance of an object"
I got this error when I log in BPC EXCEL.
Then if I click OK i got the following:
"[ErrCheck] An error occured while checking an error from webservice. 91: Object reference not set to an instance of an object"
Then when I click OK I got the following:
"An error occured while getting a team list from the server."
Then the second message again.
Then I click on EDATA and I have the message:
"An error occured while starting Data Manager"
I do not understand... I seems to have appeared like this for not apparent reasons. I asked all my colleague and nobody changed the security settings. I just reprocessed all of them but the problem is still here...
Edited by: Nicolas Argente on Oct 9, 2008 3:08 PM
Stefan Dunhem replied
Sorry for the late reply, I just bumped into this error myself. Several quick tricks were unsuccessful but one of the following did fix the problem. I'm not sure exactly which it was since I did them all at the same time, but...
1. Uninstalled BPC for Office and BPC Administration.
2. Deleted C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\OutlookSoft folder
3. Deleted C:\Program Files\BPC folder
4. Removed the OUTLOOKSOFT entry from the registry. Start Menu \ Run \ cmd \ regedit. Delete the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OUTLOOKSOFT folder.
5. Reboot PC.
1. Deleted the BPC\Data\Webfolders\Appsetname\Appname\PRIVATEPUBLICATIONS\userid folder from each application.
2. Deleted the BPC\Data\Webfolders\Appsetname\PRIVATEPUBLICATIONS\userid folder.
3. Removed the user ID from security.
4. Re-added user ID into security.
1. Navigated back to http://servername/osoft and installed BPC for Office.
2. Used Connection Wizard to reconnect. Worked like new.
Hope that helps!