Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attachments in activitry: "unknown file extension"

former_member303406
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

when trying to open a file attached to an activity, I get the following error: "unknown file extension". The file extension is .TIF and the file is where SBO expects it to be.

The what is the meaning of this error message ?

Thanks

Gilles Plante

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gilles

I assume you mean you have already logged a message with SAP about a related problem with the path? Have you checked the effective permissions on the B1_SHR folder on your server?

Kind regards

Peter Juby

former_member303406
Participant
0 Kudos

Peter,

it is not a problem with permissions. I have done some more investigation. I have looked at Folder options > File type, and .TIF is not defined, as well as .TIFF. But I have instances where the path does not exists anymore... then the message still states that the file extension is unknown.

Gilles Plante

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gilles

Have you tried other file types like xls? Do you have the same problem? Maybe try change the file extension from TIF to TIFF and vice versa.

Kind regards

Peter Juby

former_member303406
Participant
0 Kudos

Peter,

Maybe try change the file extension from TIF to TIFF and vice versa.

No one is allowed to change records outside SBO. These records are read-only from within SBO.

I have not checked for other type of files. I am at this time having problems with attachments and the attachment path, for which a message was created, and this one got added.

I need to know why SBO returns the error withouht guessing. Some one has the answer ?

Thanks

Gilles Plante

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gilles ,

Is it just a particular file or any TIF files?

Did it work before?

Thanks,

Gordon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gilles

I would search SAP notes and if none, log a support message. I tested a TIF attachment in an activity and it opened no problem.

Kind regards

Peter Juby

former_member303406
Participant
0 Kudos

Peter,

nothing found in notes. I know I can create a message, but I found out that support people respond faster on the forum than in messages...

And I thought someone may already have the answer.

Gilles Plante

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gilles

As far as I know, SAP uses the windows registry file extensions to attempt to open any file. You can open My Computer and select Tools > Folder Options. Then select the File Types TAB and look for TIF / TIFF in the list. It should be assigned to Windows Picture and Fax Viewer by default. If not assigned, click on change and select Windows Picture Viewer. You could also use programs like ACDSEE.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Peter Juby

former_member303406
Participant
0 Kudos

Peter,

this is the behaviour I expect, but it looks like SBO does not act accordingly. If I open the document from the Windows explorer, it works.

So I need to know under which circumstances SBO would throw that error.

Gilles Plante