cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS SQL DB Server Client for AIX

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to setup DB connect for our BW system. However just like many others on SDN I am having trouble with MS SQL Client for AIX (Unix)

Here is the info:

SAP System:

SAP BW 3.5 SAPKW35013

SAP Basis: 640 SP 13

DB: ORACLE 9.2.0.6.0

Source DB

MS SQL Server 2000: SP 4: ver. 8.00.2039

I have seen SAP installations running on WinNT using DB Connect for MS SQL but is there "NO WAY" to do it for SAP AIX Customers?

I am trying to look into this functionality called Data Junction to pull data into Unix and would appreciate help from people who has used it before?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184385
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi BW Novice,

if you are looking to establish connectivity between a NW J2EE app and BW, i could tell you, how to set up a datasource to your SQL Server.

But i suspect, you are looking for means to pull data into BW from this SQL Server. In that case, i suggest, you post your question to one of the SAP Business Intelligence Forums to get immediate attention from the BW experts.

Regards

Gregor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Gregor,

I have this question up in other forums also like BW etc. but you are only one who has replied so far.

What I understand is that there is no MS SQL DB CLient to run on unix so we probably have to go thru the J2EE route. So can you please tell how connect between NW J2EE app and BW please.

Thanks

former_member184385
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm still a little bit puzzled, what you are going to achieve. But if a MS SQLServer datasource (DS) in NW might help you, here it goes:

1. Outlook: i will describe a DS setup to a SQL Sever 2000, using resources (drivers), already shipped with NW

2. Steps

2a. Define the driver library as follow

- open visual admin and navigate in the cluster tree to JDBC Service, using the path "Server" / "Services" / "JDBC Connector"

- In "Runtime" tab select in "Deployed Libraries" the library "com.sap.datadirect" and click in the toolbar the "<-" button, these will define "com.sap.datadirect" as driver library

2b. Define a DS as follow

- again in "Runtime" tab select "Data Sources" node and click in the toolbar the "new document" button to initiate DS creation

- in the "Main" tab fill properties as follow

. Name=MY_SQLSERVER_DS

. JDBC Version=1.x

. Driver Class=com.sap.portals.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver

. Database URL=jdbc:sap:sqlserver://<change-2-your-db-server-host>:1433;MaxPooledStatements=150;SelectMethod=cursor

. User=<change-2-your-db-login-user>

. Password=<change-2-your-password>

- in the "Additional" tab keep the defaults and change certain properties as follow

. Expiration=check

. Connection lifetime=600

. Cleanup Thread=300

. SQL Engine=Vendor SQL

- save and check in tab "Monitoring", if the initial connection shows a green, running thread

Hope this helps a bit

Gregor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi BW Novice,

did you end up solving your problem? I face the same...

Best regards

Daniel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel:

You can use FreeTDS + unixODBC (or iODBC). With this tools you could create an ODBC connection to the SQL Server database and use it inside an ABAP report.

Best Regards

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can connect the system using JDBC but you can't pull the data through that interface for BI data junction.

The FreeTDS + iODBC approach may technically work - however, it's officially not supported. In case of problems with the generated SQL statements you'd be on your own.

The only way of solving that problem in a supported manner is to add a Windows application server to your BI system and use that to connect to the MS-SQL server database.

Markus

Answers (0)