Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

This is our infrastructure

Windows 2003 Server

SAP ECC 6.0

Oracle 10

Legato Networker Client / Library

Actually our Backup Strategy is to do an Online Backup Every Night from monday to saturday. We want to test our backup by doing a Restore. We are assuming a complete loss of the system including hardware.

What we do:

1. Install the SAP System on a new host with the same hardware characteristic of the source system.

2. Install & Configure the legato utility.

3. Copy the E:\oracle\MIS\sapbackup\ directory from the source system to the test system.

4. Them we put the database in mount mode.

5. Execute the command: brrestore -b bdyxwoqv.fnf -m full (bdyxwoqv.fnf-> Full Online Backup that was executed without problems).

It gives the following errors:

BR0386E File 'F:\ORACLE\MIS\SAPDATA2\SR3_10\SR3.DATA10' reported as not found by

backup utility

BR0386E File 'F:\ORACLE\MIS\SAPDATA3\SR3700_9\SR3700.DATA9' reported as not foun

d by backup utility

BR0280I BRRESTORE time stamp: 2008-10-01 17.45.19

BR0279E Return code from 'backint -u MIS -f restore -i E:\oracle\MIS\sapbackup\.

rdyybrzp.lst -t file -p E:\oracle\MIS\102\database\initMIS.utl': 2

BR0374E 0 of 63 files restored by backup utility

BR0231E Backup utility call failed

BR0406I End of file restore: rdyybrzp.rsb 2008-10-01 17.45.19

BR0404I BRRESTORE terminated with errors

Since this is a new SAP system it never will find the SAPDATA files because they where on the source system and this is a new test system.

We found the following note:

96848 Disaster recovery for SAP R/3 on Oracle

But this note is for SAP R/3 no for SAP ECC!

It explain that you have to install your SAP system with the System Copy Method (is this the only way??).

2.) Installation of the R/3 System

The installation of SAP software contains the software installation of the database. The initial SAP database should be created again but the SAP data should not be loaded.

Install the SAP system with the Oracle-specific system copy method, which is based on backup/restore. This method is described in the system copy guide for your Product/Release. Refer to Note 659509 for products that are based on Web AS.

3.) Modification of the installation

Above all, you must take into account the mounted file systems at the time of the loss. If necessary create new SAPDATA directories (mount points). These generally identify a disk or a logical storage area (logical volume).

Are we working in the right way? maybe there is a formal procedure to do a Restore from an Online backup when you complete loss your system.

Please some tips.

Best Regards,

Erick Ilarraza

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

step 3 and 4 ar enot right:

step 3: you will not be able to Copy the E:\oracle\MIS\sapbackup\ directory from the source system to the test system.... because your source system is DOWN! you will need to restore from backup

Step 4. Them we put the database in mount mode is not a good idea, you database must de DOWN before attempting a restore.

you use LEgato, with NEtbackup, you must change the node name to the original server. with TSM, you must chamge also something to use the client of the source system. LEgato must be working n a similar fashion.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot for your reply, I will follow the Note 96848 Disaster recovery for SAP R/3 on ORACLE point 5.

5.) Restore profile and log files, as you sayed in case of disaster we will lost our "source" system.

On the other hand to configure the legato client we take care of the name of the server, we configured the .sap, .cfg and .utl files so in theory the restore will be done on the new test system since we run the brrestore command from that system.

Officially there is not a documentation from SAP to do a Restore from a Online Backup with SAP ECC, SAP Netweaver (ABAP / ABAP + Java). You only have the 96848 note??? I found the following information:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/65/cade3bd0c8545ee10000000a114084/frameset.htm

But there is not a official procedure like a System Copy Guide or Installation Guide.

Best Regards,

Erick Ilarraza

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you will need the help of your Legato admin.

ask him how to restore an ordinary text file on another server using Legato's restore interface. By understanding this, you will be able to adapt your configuration based on this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eric, our Legato Admin never works with Restore from Online Backups... We always worked from an OFFLINE backup.

I followed the 96848 note point 5.

For example to restore the init<SID>.ora file you can use:

brrestore -n init_ora

Or for the init<SID>.sap

brrestore -n init_sap

But it gives the following error:

E:\oracle\MIS\102\database>brrestore -n init_ora

BR0401I BRRESTORE 7.00 (28)

BR0181E Option '-n' not supported for 'util_file_online'

BR0406I End of file restore: rdyzozlq.log 2008-10-09 17.33.38

BR0280I BRRESTORE time stamp: 2008-10-09 17.33.38

BR0404I BRRESTORE terminated with errors

Best Regards,

Erick ILarraza

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Luis, a workaround I use is to copy brbackup log files once a day to the DRP server, so, it wil lbe available over there in case of crash.

also, the OS backup also takes this file as a bacup.

0 Kudos

This is basically a query to understand some details on SAP DR DRILL Activity.

What are the activity steps involved in SAP DR process .  This time it is second or third time in the schedule of once in 6 months frequencies , Considering this what are the steps to be performed.

Also, Pl. help to understand the functionalities/ roleS in details for the following technical entities.

1. SERVER SUPPORT TEAM.

2. DBA SUPPORT TEAM.

3. SAP FUNCTIONAL SUPPORT TEAM.

Answers (0)