cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would like to insert new cost center for the existing layout in BCS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to add cost center to existing layout.

Currently we are loading data into BCS using flat file .

In BCS we have current layout existed with below format.

Header

Controlling area

Fiscal year

Posting period

Data Rows

Company

Item

Profit Center

Functional area

Trading partner

Period Value LC

Period Value GC

Even we are getting flat file from R/3 as above format.

Now our Business required cost center in BCS as their requirment and need to be bring from R/3 to BCS.

In R/3 our ABAP people are working to bring the cost center from R/3 and made a flat file for us.

In BCS we need to load the file which has new cost center,which was comming as per the new requirment.

Please advise me how to add cost center in Data Rows of BCS.So that it can accomidate new cost center which is comming from R/3.

Please some advise me on this and answer would be appreated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

dan_sullivan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

First step is to ensure, in BW workbench, that cost center is already a characteristic in the BCS Basic/Transaction InfoCube . If not, it must be added. However precaution is advised with any such change as it is significant change.

Second, in the BCS workbench, in the databasis it must be ensured that cost center is assigned a role of subassignment. If not, it must be added and the databasis must be subsequently regenerated.

Third, in the BCS workbench, ensure cost center is assigned to the cons area. If not, it must be added and the cons area must be subsequently regenerated.

Fourth, in the flexible file method, the cost center must be added: UCWB > Consolidation Functions > Data Collection > Flexible Upload. Drag the characteristic cost center to the placement in the data rows where it is to be in the file. Save the changes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks alot Dan.

I need to include Cost center in BCS Basic/Real time cube.

In our case the Cost center is not avaialble in the BCS Cube.

Then i need to follow the steps which you told me.

Step 2: I need to assign the cost center to assigned a role of subassignment.But i am not able find the roles UCWB.

dan_sullivan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In BW, once the characteristic is added to the infocube, it must be assigned to the dimension "subassignment". Then in the databasis it should be available for this role.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks alot Dan and it would be great help for me.

I am going to assigned full points to you

Former Member
0 Kudos

In BW, once the characteristic is added to the infocube, it must be assigned to the dimension "subassignment". Then in the databasis it should be available for this role.

Dan, that's not accurate. There is no such a requirement. Not necessarily to place the characteristic into 'Subassignment' dimension. Any dimension (except of the system's one, like time etc.) is suitable.

dan_sullivan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Eugene, Thanks for the clarification that almost any dimension assignment will work. However I am not certain why for cost centers it would be anything other than subassignment.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dan, I objected not to cost center being a subassignment, but to the 'must' of assigning all subassignments to the only dimension in the totals cube.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eugene,

Please advise me what are the steps i need to take while adding cost center to the cube.

Give me step by step if possible.

It would be great help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prasad,

How to add infoobject to the cube:

1. BW 310 SAP course.

or just try to do it by yourself. Do not expect getting step-by-step guides anytime you need to do your job.

Edited by: Eugene Khusainov on Oct 9, 2008 9:59 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Eugene,

I knew how to add char to cube in BW.But i am not sure about BCS .

I will follow as you said.

Once it is done then what are the next steps need to do it.

I am assigning points to you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prasad,

I knew how to add char to cube in BW.But i am not sure about BCS .

- What's the difference in assigning the infoobject (CostCenter) to the infocube, doesn't matter if it's the basic (ordinary) or the BCS totals cube?

I will follow as you said.

- Taking the BW310 or SEM240 is very useful.

Once it is done then what are the next steps need to do it.

- What's done? What's the question?

I am assigning points to you

- I do not need the points assigned for nobody knows what. Feel free to unassign them.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad

It is not advisable to add cost center to the existing data model since it will mess up the existing data. SEM BCS is a different animal than BW and you need to understand the whole functionality end to end. Your problem will not be solved just to know how to add cost center to the existing data model which has wide ramification if data is already there in the system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Siva Kumar,

How would i accomidate Cost center characterstic in BCS.

The current flow cost center was not available and the falt file which i am getting have a cost center now.

withough having cost center characterstic in BCS,how can i load the flat file which has cost center in BCS.

Please advise me.

dan_sullivan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can load the data in BCS and ignore cost center if that is acceptable. To do so, simply change the flexible file upload method to insert a column for free field where the cost center is in the file. This way the file may be loaded and cost center is allowed but ignored (not loaded).

Answers (0)