cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FI AA External Number Range

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus!

Is it possible to generate an Asses# (when creating new assest- AS01) which is combination of Plant(ANLZ-WERKS) , Acq year (ANLA-ZUJHR) and seqno. ? e.g COMM200688888 as assest number. (Assuming

external number range is defined for the asset class)

if so...how?

Thanks,

Murtuza.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

NathanGenez
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I haven't looked at something like this in a looooong time, but I agree with Paul that I -think- it is technically possible. But functionally, the year might be an issue.

What you could do instead is to just use a substitution to automatically concatenate that string of information into a different field such as the Inventory Number. Then report off of INVNR and not ANLN1. There is a user exit to do this.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

JozsefSzikszai
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if you still go for the external asset number, despite the concerns added by Paul and Nathan, than the enhancement you can use is AIST0001 (tcode: SMOD to check)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all, for your reply . It was very helpful .

Eric - refering to your reply . I tried to do some search on AIST0001 documentation . Here is my understanding of how it can be done :-

1. Need to create external number range .

2. Function EXIT_SAPLAIST_001 which contains include ZXISU01 needs to be modified.

3. Inside ZXISU01 - concatenate Plant,Year.. fields with the External number range to get required Asset Number.

4. Set E_NO_CHECK_NR = 'X' as Assest number is returned from function.

However , I have a concern at step 3 . how can I get the Plant , Year ..(or other field) .

Because what I'm thinking at this point is , we need Plant, Year .(or other) ...from the Asset record that we are creating.. how will I get this info.

Please advice...

Again Thank you All,

Murtuza.

NathanGenez
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

AIST0001 is not supported by SAP. It doesn't work. Here is the [note|https://websmp101.sap-ag.de/~form/handler?_APP=01100107900000000342&_EVENT=REDIR&_NNUM=420484]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Nathan,

Reason we want to add Plant,Year (or other) field is not for reporting purpose but user wants that, looking at the Asset number itself he should be able to say which Plant it belong to .. we might need to add other field along with Plant ..

So I think what you suggested might not work ? If i'm wrong pls brief a little more on that...

Thank you!

Murtuza.

NathanGenez
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, on a broader topic I feel very strongly that intelligent numbering is not a good idea. That's true for any master data object. For items that represent organizational elements such as a CC or PC, then at least the requirement has some merit and I can understand with a limited amount of intelligent numbering. But for a project, asset, vendor, customer, bank, material? I think it's a ridiculous requirement and the customer is going to regret it later. As a BI consultant I can tell you the merits of attribute based reporting and why your customer should report on ANLA-WERKS and not some derived value in the master data ID that can never be changed and might not one day be the appropriate solution. So the other approach is to report on an alternate output field in the asset reports using a user exit.

JozsefSzikszai
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

thanks Nathan! I just checked in AS01 what are the avaliable exits, never used this one.

On the other hand I fully agree with you regarding "intelligent numbering" (we call them "speaking numbers" in Hungarian). According to my experience these thing completely collapsed usually few months after implementation, when the structure behind them changed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree with Nathan on using limited amount of intelligent numbering. I have faced the same scenario in past and instead of putting intelligence to the number ranges and using it as external, I advised them to modify their search criteria (OA11) where they can add extra fields on which they want to search (in my eg. it was super asset no, eval groups and acq year). Using this they can drill down on the exact asset they want.

See if this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

For the plant it is not a problem, You fill in an asset number starting with the plant and you make a validation for the masterdata that the value is the same.

The second part is more difficult when you create the asset you don't know this or with creating the asset you have to fill this in and use the validation for it to see if it is the correct value.

In old non SAP system there was perhaps a reason to make numbers on this way. But in all the reports you can select on capitalization date and plant