Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Upgrade or re-install? CE9 to BOE XI R2, new server has BOE XI old version

We have an old server that's running Crystal Enterprise Reports version 9 and it is the current production machine.

We also have another server that was purchased a couple years ago and BOE XI was loaded on it and the CE9 stuff was migrated to it. But the migration was never completed and the person in charge of this left and the project has sat since then due to resource issues.

I am now tasked with creating a plan for getting BOE XI R2 loaded on the "new" server and migrating the information from the CE9 server. There are 2 options that I can see.

1) Upgrade the existing BOE XI in place to R2. Would doing this preserve configuration that had already been done? What problems will be presented by the fact that information was already migrated once from CE9 and everything will need to be re-migrated?

2) Completely uninstall BOE XI and then reinstall BOE XI R2. Start from scratch with configuration and migrating information from the CE9 server.

Also, I saw mention in another thread of obtaining the services of a consultant. We typically do not do that unless it's absolutely necessary. Would like your opinions on whether this is really complicated enough to warrant hiring outside help or if we should be able to learn what we need from documentation. The person that did the original migration took training classes and we did not use a consultant. Thanks for your help.

replied

Well you said the XI environment is old, but if you wanted to an upgrade will keep what you have. We usually recomend migration vs upgrade if a production server is installed but in DEV if all goes wrong, your other option is to reinstall anyway, so might as well try it out.

What I think you will end up doing is migrating from CE9 to XIR2. It's a pretty tall task for anyone to assume they can guide you through a migration of 3 product versions in a simple forum post. This is why it's recomended to use a consultant, as they will get to know your existing environment and all the possible "gotcha's".

The import wizard is your tool for migrating reports, users, groups, folders, and even instances from CE9 to XIR2. You are welcome to perform this on your own and if you have a contract you can always open a message with support if you get stuck.

Regards,

Tim

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question