Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Is the portal "dead"? What comes after EP 6.0? Rumours...

In the last weeks I have heard quite a few times from other customers and also from more or less "internals" that there will be no new development on the Portal side.

I´m aware that EP 6.0 is supported until the end of the maintenance of NW 7.0, I´m also aware, that there will be an enhancement package (or more than one) until then but I think that question is still valid.

Minor improvements are made with each SP (or now enhX), so I see progress but I doubt seriously, that the EP 6.0 enhX will be followed by an EP 7.0 (or whatever it is called then).

I am wondering because

- there is no active development towards J2EE 5.0 (or higher) in the EP area (at least I´m not aware of any), Java 1.4.2 is completely EOL´ed at the end of the current month; as of today you won´t be able to use an operating system such as Windows 2008 to run a portal.

- there is no "preview" of any newer technology covering EP functionality as is there for other middleware products (e. g. PI 7.1)

- I "heard", that the applications framework (or better said: the Netweaver base (enhX)) will handle in some version the inter-system data passing themselves, without the need of a portal in the middle that takes the data from system A and pass it to an application running against backend system B.

It´d be very nice if someone could comment on that, is that all misinformation and/or false conclusions?

Markus

Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question