cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Manager "Solutions"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I need some general guidelines about setting up Solutions inside of Solution Manager. I have gone through and created logical components for just about everything that we have installed in our landscape. At present, I created 4 "solutions":

1. Sandbox

2. Development

3. QA

4. Prod

I then tried to assign the various logical components to 1 of my solutions, and I received the following error message:

"You cannot use system XYZ twice in solution Development"

You see, I have a logical component for SAP ECC SERVER and another one for SAP ERP ENHANCEMENT PACKAGE (plus several others). I have assigned the same system to each logical component because in my mind I would think that the system would show up once inside the Solution and then it would list all of the logical components assigned to that system, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

So, how do you setup your "solutions" inside of Solution Manager? Do I need to create a separate solution for each logical component? Ultimately, I want to use this information inside the maintenance optimizer to list any Support Packs / Stacks that may be missing for a particular component.

Any help / direction would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jason

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

in your case, it is necessary to use the product SAP ERP. The reason is that on one hand MOPZ does not work with SAP ECC and on the other hand the relation between SAP ERP and SAP ERP EhP can be calculated by MOPZ based on SAP ERP. So, I recommend to create one logical component based on the product SAP ERP and assign your systems to this logical component and use only this logical component in your solution insead of SAP ECC and SAP ERP EhP. This should be sufficient to use MOPZ to calculate the correct support packages.

Best regards,

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Michael,

Ok, but that only solves 1 small part of my problem. You see I have other components installed on my ECC server like TDMS and Virsa. When I create these logical components in SolMan and try to add them to my solution, I will still get the error message. So, at that point, do I create separate solutions for those components?

Thanks,

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Michael,

I went back to the drawing board with your idea of putting everything under the SAP ERP component, and I was able to get my solutions setup properly.

Thanks for your help!

Jason

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

it is not possible to have several logical components with different products that have assigned the same system (SID) in one solution. I assume that this is the case for at least two of your logical components.

Best regards,

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Michael,

You are correct. I have 4 ECC instances in my landscape. 1 for Sandbox, 1 for Dev, 1 for QA, and 1 for Prod. Each instance has ECC and the ERP Enh. Pack installed along with other components. So, I can't have a solution called Development with both the logical components ECC and ERP Enh. Pack in the same solution because each component points to the same server for Sandbox, Dev, QA, and Prod.

So I'm wondering, do I create a solution called Development - ECC and another solution called Development - ERP Enh. Pack and break out the logical components that way, or is there something else that I'm missing?

Eventually I want to have all of my logical components defined so that when I go into the Maintenance Optimizer for a solution, that Solution Manager will tell me which components for that solution I need to update to the latest Support Pack / Stack.

In my mind, it seems that I should have a single instance in a solution with all logical components installed in that instance available. Another words, it should look like:

Solution = Development

Instance = XYZ

Logical Components for Instance XYZ = ECC, ERP Enh. Pack, etc., etc.

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

the way you broke it up is not recommended. I would delete them and start over. Create 1 solution for all your systems. That is SAP's recommended approach unless you have a crazy amount of systems.

regards,

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jason,

I'm not sure I understand how 1 solution will fix my issue. So say, I setup 1 solution. I then have the issue with all of my logical components (i.e. - ECC and ECC EnhPck) pointed at the same system. If I try to add both of these logical components to my solution, Solution Manager will throw the error message about not being able to add the logical components to the solution because both of them point at the same Sbx, Dev, QA, and Prod system.

Regards,

Jason