cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing/Implementing SAP on existing database?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have been approached by a Consulting firm asking me this question:

This organization already has a SQL server database and now they want to implement SAP system.

Now, can they use their existing SQL Server database and we just install SAP System and that will automatically get linked to their existing SQL server OR they need to install a new set of SQL server along with their new SAP?

What will happen to their old SQL server data where they are currently storing their data? How will that get migrated to the new SAP/SQL Server?

Do they have to get a new SQL server license from SAP?

Thanks a lot.

WR

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes you can install SAP into the same server IF the SQL version is enough. That is called MCOD, I have done that in Oracle and MAXDB.

In the other side, migrating data from a legacy system is another story, and most times it is better to do the SAP Implementation and begin with initial values (accounting, etc) but it deppends on the complexity of the processes of the company.

They could also keep their data for consulting porpouses and do some ABAP developments to read data from that old database.

Good luck

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

You can install SAP on an existing DB server, but it will be a new database. Moving legacy data into SAP is usually a big project, it doesn't happen on its own.

You don't have to buy your SQL licence from SAP. We did when we were on ORACLE but we don't when we moved to MS SQL.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Regarding SAP license, SAP Business Suite is delivered on a particular OS+DB platform [SQL Server in u'r case] and license is obtained for both.

I'm sure about u'r first question though. I guess after you have installed SAP freshly you'll need to perform a database migration. Maybe some "gurus" here can shed some light on it.

regards, Sean.