cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conditional Formatting or Highlighting for NULL records

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it possible to highlight a record with a NULL value using the highlighting expert or conditional formatting?

I've tried the formula: "if isnull({@ROI_Actual}) then crYellow else crWhite" in the background conditional formatting window but haven't been successfull in highlighting the NULL values.

It also appears that the highlighting expert does not accept NULL in the "vaule of" section.

Does anyone know of a way to bring attention to the NULL values? I prefer not to use an IF THEN statement to replace the NULL with an actual value and then set formatting on that created value.

Thanks very much for any help that you can provide!!

David

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

If the formula returns null value then formula will not be processed in crystal. So you need to convert the null values to default. You can find this option in the formula editor at the top in a drop down list in which the default option is "exception for nulls" change this option to "Default values for nulls". Now the null values are converted into 0 if it is a numeric field and if it is a string field then it converts to "".

Now change the condition like

if =0 then cryellow else crwhite if it is a string field then write the formula like if ="" then cryellow

else

crwhite

Regards,

Raghavendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raghavendra,

Thank you very much for your reply. Your suggestion has solved my issue.

Can you confirm that I understand the scope of this setting change?

By setting the "Default Value for NULLS" at the formula level I'm only affecting this single formula instead of globally affecting NULLS as with the Report Option or Option level setting?

I had tried the global setting previously but it returned undesirable results. This formula level setting has worked perfectly.

Thanks again!

David

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Look under File, Options, Reporting to be sure that you're not automatically converting your nulls to something else. It's difficult to tell if your formula could result in a null without seeing it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Charliy,

I checked my reporting options and I'm not coverting NULL values. Would you expect the formula I posted earlier to work?

Thanks for your response,

David