cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bringing in more than 60 characters into BW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have a situvation where i have a field in my flat file where the data length exceeds 60 characters and can go upto 800 characters. How do i hndle that situvation in BW. Please advise.

Thanks

Rashmi.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

This has been discussed many a times...

Check the below links

Hope this helps

Regards

Shilpa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The approaches you have mentioned esentially talks about dividing the texts into different info objects and then concaetenating them at the run time. This can be done when u know the length of a fixed finite value. In my case it is not, today the maximum is 1000 and tomorrow it can exceed that. Hence i cannot take this approach. Any alternative ideas.

Thanks

Rashmi

Former Member
0 Kudos

BI is analytical tool, it is not a dump tool, if you have more than 1000 char for a field, then probably need to check other ways (ABAP reports). There is really nothing wrong telling to the users we can't easily achieve this in BI.

thanks.

Wond

former_member205352
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check this blog :

In your case to make the length dynamic at infoobject level I dont think so its possible.Infact the method in the above blog is a workaround.

What I would suggest it as of now maintain as many attributes as required now.Later when that situation as you told occurs you may add one more info object and so on.

Since it will be just master data loading and enabling display attributes in queries it should not be a huge task.

Hope this helps.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

If you can do some VBA programming you can join this long text from 3 different

infoobjects into a single cell in VBA. there was some post where they explained

about how they implemented it.

and one more option if you are using web reports then you can do this.

The procedure would be simmilar to the one which hides the fields in a table which

is explained in a how to guide

If the field contains more than 60 chars, load should not fail. It will simply

take first 60 chars. If your load is failing, there could be some other reason.

Please check the log, some common problems while loading through file are special

characters and alpha conversion erros.

Hope it helps

gaurav

ravikanth_indurthi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rashmi,

Check this links might be helpful:

Rgs,

Ravikanth.