cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experiencing poor syndication service performance in MDM SP06

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have installed MDM SP06 on our test server and have had to switch our syndications from using the syndication manager batch utility to using the syndication service.

These syndications all have the "suppress unchanged records" option selected (checked) so that we only send recently inserted/updated records.

I have found that when no records have been updated, the syndication service seems to be invoking SQL Server repeatedly nd frequently and between MDSS and MSSQL, they pretty much keep our CPU busy most of the time.

However, if I touch one or more rows, the perfromance, for the run immediately following seems to improve.

I notice similar behavior in Syndication Manager. If no rows have been updated, syndication manager just runs and runs when I execute the syndication. But if I touch one or more rows, then it executes the syndication in a reasonable time.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong, or may have missed when installing/configuring 5.6?

The repository in question is not particularyn bik -- there are about 67K vendor records on the main table.

Thank you for any assistance or ideas,

Vince

Edited by: Vince Moore on Oct 7, 2008 10:40 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Syndication server is a service on Windows , if thats the platform you are using , try scheduling the service according to your needs with a skew of few minutes so that it can really prepare the file for syndication.

BTW was CPU usage the only performance conern on your side? that depends on Number of fields you are trying to syndicate, file size and any custom manipulations on the syndication map.

Ideally syndication server should fall back on MDS server for any data base request, I wonder why it is hitting SQL server directly. I will try to find out and keep you posted. Provide some more info on your setup

-Sudhir

former_member201266
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vince,

When you create a port and its 'Process Interval' is set to "Continuous", then I believe the syndication server will be busy always trying to check for records update. Y don't you once try and change the "Process Interval" and either set it to "Hourly", "Daily" or "Weekly" and test, I hope you will find the difference.

Cheers,

Cherry.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Cherry,

Thanks, but unfortunately we had previously committed to send files to certain systesm every 10 minutes (with our old, home-grown, Oracle based solution it was every 5). We had been able to do that with batch syndication, but we couldn't hold off upgrading forever as we needed some other new features.

I also tried increasing the Auto Syndication Task Delay, but that just gives us brief intermittent periods of idle time.

What would have been helpful was a real scheduler -- not just the choice of continuous, hourly daily or weekly -- that's pretty lame.

Thanks,

Vince