Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF stored on Application Server - Need to retrieve and display

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Let me explain to you what I am doing and how I have not succeeded.

I am quiet a senior ABAP guy henceforth I am posting this and have also looked for previous posts to no avail.

Firstly, I use GUI_UPLOAD and OPEN dataset to store a PDF file on the Application Server. I have retrieved it with CG3Y without any problems. My requirement is that I have a list of these PDF files displayed on a report and a user selects ONE line and clicks VIEW PDF (custom ALV). This should then launch the PDF in acrobat from the Application server.

I have tried WS_EXECUTE but that does not work. I do not even mind if this PDF is displayed in HTML or an image. I just need some help??

ANy help will be greatly rewarded.

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member

ok ...

I did it about a month ago and I get any problem with this; can you open other kind of file?

for example, try to open a doc with word or wordpad or the openoffice writer...

now I am at home and I haven't an access on system. tomorrow I'll post you the piece of code I used.

If you want to post your cade, I could see if I see something wrong, else you have to wait until tomorrow.

10 REPLIES 10

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

what's the error?

the pdf is displayed with WS_EXECUTE opening directly the adobe acrobat reader. often the error in this case is that the path to the exe for pdf is wrong

0 Kudos

Hi, it just doesn't do anything. Say if the PDF location is /sap/usr/tmp/test.pdf, what should I do exactly?? Thanks in advance

Former Member

ok ...

I did it about a month ago and I get any problem with this; can you open other kind of file?

for example, try to open a doc with word or wordpad or the openoffice writer...

now I am at home and I haven't an access on system. tomorrow I'll post you the piece of code I used.

If you want to post your cade, I could see if I see something wrong, else you have to wait until tomorrow.

0 Kudos

That would be really, really handy and very appreciated.

I am also at home now, so please come back to me tomorrow.

I tried Excel File, but again, I just don't seem to get it right

0 Kudos

Hi try OPEN statement FOR OUTPUT in Binary mode.

or else try to use FTP function to get the file.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jey

0 Kudos

the working of this code is embedded in the comment:

" First I set some define for the program:

• define for the program *****************************************

DATA exe_4_doc TYPE string VALUE '"C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.3\program\swriter.exe"'.

DATA exe_4_xls TYPE string VALUE '"C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.3\program\scalc.exe"'.

DATA exe_4_ods TYPE string VALUE '"C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.3\program\scalc.exe"'.

DATA exe_4_ppt TYPE string VALUE '"C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.3\program\simpress.exe"'.

DATA exe_4_pdf TYPE string VALUE '"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe"'.

*----

" local data

DATA file_path TYPE string.

" name of the executable

DATA program(128) TYPE c VALUE ''.

" I searched the file path for the extension for some type of file

" assigning the name of the program to use:

" pdf file

IF program IS INITIAL.

SEARCH file_path FOR '*pdf'.

IF sy-subrc = 0.

program = exe_4_pdf.

ELSE.

SEARCH file_path FOR '*PDF'.

IF sy-subrc = 0.

program = exe_4_pdf. " defined at the top

ENDIF.

ENDIF.

ENDIF.

.... " search for other extension

" then I assigned the value to

IF program IS NOT INITIAL.

" '"' are mandatory to avoid problems

" with white space in the path

CONCATENATE '"' file_path '"' INTO file_path.

CALL FUNCTION 'WS_EXECUTE'

EXPORTING

" file_path is the path to the file

commandline = file_path

" program is one of the define above

program = program

EXCEPTIONS

frontend_e

rror = 1

no_batch = 2

prog_not_found = 3

illegal_option = 4

OTHERS = 5.

IF sy-subrc = 0.

"error

ENDIF.

ENDIF.

-

With this code I can open every file I want with every program.

Hope this can help.

Cheers

Gabriele

0 Kudos

Hi Gab,

We are so nearly there - it works for files that are on say my local drive example if I pass to the field commandline D:\test.pdf; however if I pass in say /usr/sap/tmp/00029498_30960208_delegation.pdf

which is on my application server it does not do anything apart from load acrobat.

Thanks for your help so far

0 Kudos

ok

I don't know if I completley understand; in this way you are not putting information about network address. If you just set as path /usr/...

it cannot work: think if you have more hosts on the net. How can you find the correct path ? I suggest you this:

from windows "My Network Places" open a folder and then copy the path of the folder where the pdf is stored. Get from the explorer bar the address of the folder (it will be something like "
169.254.0.1\usr\.." or "
your_name_server\usr\...") and append the name of the file you want to open. Use this path in the WS_EXECUTE and retry, this should work .... (obviously you have to make sure that the folder is shared on the network)

Edited by: Gabriele Montori on Oct 8, 2008 10:07 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you post your GUI_UPLOAD, OPEN DATASET and WS_EXECUTE code? Did you specify BINARY for GUI_UPLOAD/OPEN Dataset?

WS_EXECUTE is marked as Obsolete in my system, what is your SAP? Do you have GUI_EXEC available?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dipesh ,

Please check the class CL_GUI_PDFVIEWER.

There is also a document which describes the method to display a PDF.

The link is beloe [PDF_VIEWER|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/d8bb0975-0e01-0010-2192-bd1fffd80cae]

Regards,

Arun