cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOXI R2 upgrade - can client and server be done at different times?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are currently using an old version of BOXI R2 (MHF1+CHF14) on AIX with Windows XP clients using BOXI R2 Client Tools (Designer/Desktop Intelligence etc). We have several BOXI servers for Development, Test, PreProduction and Production and are discussing the approach to take to move to BOXI R2 SP4.

We would like to upgrade the Development server first and test that this does not cause any issues before rolling the upgrade out to test, preproduction and eventually production.

My query is about when do we upgrade the BOXI client software.

1. Will the current client work with the upgraded server?

2. Will an upgraded client work with the servers that are still on the old release?

3. Is it possible to have both versions of BOXI client on the same PC or would they have to be different PCs if this is required?

4. Would the answers to the above questions be different if we were to go to BOXI R3 rather than just BOXI R2 SP4?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Ian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ian,

One thing to keep in mind is that if you upgrade the Dev server, the documents migrated to Q through import wizard (after the upgrade) may not work.

I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

1. Will the current client work with the upgraded server?

Yes. (but not recommended.)

2. Will an upgraded client work with the servers that are still on the old release?

Yes. (but not recommended.)

3. Is it possible to have both versions of BOXI client on the same PC or would they have to be different PCs if this is required?

Not possible. Because it is still considered one version.

4. Would the answers to the above questions be different if we were to go to BOXI R3 rather than just BOXI R2 SP4?

Yes. The answers will change as follows:

1. No.

2. No.

3. Yes

Hope this helps.

Kashif

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kashif,

One Change to the answers you posted.

Will an upgraded client work with the servers that are still on the old release?

An XI 3.0 client will work with an XI R2 repository. This exists to ease migrations, not require multiple versions of client tools (when migrating to XI 3.0).

Best,

Srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sri,

I have both 3.0 and XIR2 on my computer. I get the following error in 3.0 Designer when i try to login to an XIR2 system:

[repo_proxy 13] SessionFacade::openSessionLogon with user info has failed(Access denied. You cannot log on to an older version of the CMS.(hr=#0x80070005)

Kashif

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, you're right. XI 3.0 client tools cannot access an XI R2 repository.

It's the other way. XI R2 client tools can access an XI 3.0 repository. I checked this and it works.

I should have verified before posting earlier.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No worries Sri :)...we all make mistakes and it is not always possible to verify before posting. The bottom line is that we all are helping each other in this forum by solving each other's issues.

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

I wouldn't recommend XI Release 2 clients connecting to XI 3.0 servers either. Migrate content from XI Release 2 to XI 3.0 using the Import Wizard, and use XI 3.0 clients with XI 3.0 servers.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Answers (0)