cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Data from CMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

I understand that there is a import functionality which will allow me to copy objects and users from my existing CMS to my new one, however, what I want to be able to do is export my existing setup so I can import it again once at a later time on another machine which may not have access to the original repository.

Is this possible?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Simon,

What you can do is create a BIAR file using the Import Wizard application (should be installed on your machine; certainly installed on the server). Basically, it captures all the information you want, stores it in a BIAR file (which is nothing more than a ZIP file). This file can then later be used as a source to import content in your new setup.

Hope this helps

Kind regards,

Kristof Speeckaert

Former Member
0 Kudos

I know this functionality (creating a BIAR file) is available in Release 2, but is it available in Enterprise XI?

Edited by: Simon Stainmagen on Oct 9, 2008 12:40 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simon:

Yes, BIAR file functionality exists in BOE XI R1 as well. But in the case of this thread and moving content to a specific version, you must use the import wizard from the most recent version.

If you are running BOE 3.1 and you want to migrate content from BOE XI R1, use the 3.1 Import Wizard to connect to the R1 system and create the biar file.

For me, I would remove dependency on the BIAR file if I could simply becuase I don't like adding extra steps. For many companies, two server deployments may not be able to connect to each other but client machines are able to connect to both. Remember, the Import Wizard is a client tool. You can install the IW on a client and bridge the two environments without having to use BIAR files.

Another solution that I have used is to create a mobile system and use the CMC database copy wizard. I would install the latest version on a laptop, connect to the source deployment, copy over the file stores and the database. Then take the laptop to the target site and run an import again.

There a couple of different ways you can do this and the architecture is very flexible. Match the functionality with your current resources and constraints and create an upgrade deployment solution.

Have great days, gerald

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Simon:

I am not sure what you are asking here when you refer to u201Cexisting setupu201D so I will try and address both possibilities. If you want to:

u2022 Import an entire deployment use the CMS database copy functionality. If there is no connection between the two deployments, you can restore a backup of the CMS system database on a database that the other system has access to and then use the CMS data source copy functionality. The system tables contain binary fields so this is only supported if the databases are the same. You cannot backup system tables on Oracle 9i and restore on 10g (not only version, but the updates need to be the same as well). You will need to copy the filestore directories over as well.

u2022 Import specific objects, use the Import Wizard. The Import Wizard can connect to source and target deployments at the same time. If there is no connection between the two deployments, you can Import from source to a BIAR file, move the BIAR file over and Import from source BIAR file to target deployment.

Have great days, gerald

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, you can.

The export will work fine as long as the new machine has a CMS and Input/Output FRS that are enabled and running. Access to the same CMS db/file repository are not required.

I think it prudent to point out however that an import/export via a biar file should not be used for backup. In my experience, it has been rather unreliable.