cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Address for Firewall

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

I want to know which IP address i need to provide to the partner with whom we are doing B2B so that he can put that IP address in his firewall. Is that the IP address of the XI server or something else....

Thanks..

Brij....

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member181985
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

It all depends on your landscape network setup. Ask your network administrator. Generally a company wont expose XI server IP address and its listening port directly, instead there will be one more call forwarding server which takes the request from your Business partner and forwards this to XI server internally.

e.g., port forwarding etc.......

Thanks,

Gujjeti.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Thanks for reply.

I want to know more about forwarding server. There is sap router and sap web dispatcher, what is difference between these two. and which is better to use.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAProuter is an SAP program that acts as an intermediate station (proxy) in a network connection between SAP Systems, or between SAP Systems and external networks. SAProuter controls the access to your network (application level gateway), and, as such, is a useful enhancement to an existing firewall system (port filter).

Refer

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/4f/992ce8446d11d189700000e8322d00/frameset.htm

https://websmp202.sap-ag.de/~form/sapnet?_FRAME=CONTAINER&_OBJECT=011000358700003588172003&;

The SAP Web dispatcher is used as a "software Web switch" between the Internet and your SAP system.

The Web Dispatcher communicates directly with the message server and does provide statefull (jsessionid) load balancing and can redirect clients to available servers if their current server node crashes.

SAP Web dispatcher is a true load balancing mechanism in regards to SAP Enterprise portal as it not a secured solution. According to SAP documentation, it says "It is also beneficial to use the SAP Web dispatcher, if you do not need security functions (entry point in the DMZ, SSL, URL filtering), but you simply want to balance the load between several SAP Web AS instances". Also, I am not sure it maintains or provides options for different types of affinity (session state), which is needed for the Enterprise Portal when you design the infrastructure.

Note that the SAP Web Dispatcher can also be used as an alternative to Reverse Proxy.

Refer

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_webas620/helpdata/en/42/5cfd3b0e59774ee10000000a114084/frameset.htm

SAP Web Dispatcher is preferred one but that depends upon your SLD. you Basis Administration can answer it very well

Thanks

Swarup

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We did have this similar situation in one of my project.

1. At first, we gave XI IP address to our partner.

2. And then our partner told us that there was no hit to their firewall from our XI IP address. After discussing with our client security and network team, we just realized that XI IP address is internal, and when it connects with external applications, it was assigned with one of a set of external IPs.

3. And since the external IPs are dynamically assigned, so we end up asking our partner registering all the IPs into their firewall. Luckily they agreed to do that.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Lim...

dharamveer_gaur2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Logicaly this should be IP address of your XI server,because this is also belongs to your Domain.