Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Copy from System Copy

Allan1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello all,

We have a three system landscape, plus a Sandbox system (ECC6 ABAP on Windows 2003 and MS SQL Server 2005).

I would like to optimize the process of refreshing the clients in our DEV, QA and Sandbox systems. Below is how we currently refresh the clients; followed by a proposed method. Please advise if the proposed method is appropriate.

Current Process:

============

1) Local client copy of the production client, in the PROD system (i.e. copy 300 -> 310).

2) Remote client copy of 310 to 200 (QA).

3) Remote client copy of 310 to 100 (DEV).

4) Local client copy of 200 to additional QA clients (i.e. 210), if required.

5) Local client copy of 100 to additional DEV clients (i.e. 110, 120), if required.

6) Remote client copy of 310 to Sandbox client.

7) Delete client 310 from the PROD system.

NOTE: The above process requires production down-time.

Proposed Process:

==============

1) Use a Production database backup to restore the Sandbox system (i.e. refresh the sandbox via system copy).

2) Remote client copy of sandbox client (300) to 200 (QA).

3) Remote client copy of sandbox client (300) to 100 (DEV).

4) Local client copy of 200 to additional QA clients (i.e. 210), if required.

5) Local client copy of 100 to additional DEV clients (i.e. 110, 120), if required.

NOTE: This proposed process doesnu2019t require production down-time, or the creation and deletion of a client on the Prod system. Also, we are a small shop so our landscape is frozen during the above processing.

Does the proposed process provide for a stable landscape? That is, will it cause any issues?

Thank you for your help.

Allan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Allan,

On your proposed Solution most of the activity are Remote client copy to update your development and quality system update. Its depends on your database size. If your databsase is big then it will take a long time and during this activity your production system will be little slow due to read of tables. So personally i prefer the production database backup to restore the sanbox.

we have tested this and it works fine.

But if your database size is low or medium then u can perform the remote client copy or client export import.

Regards

Subhash

Allan1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thank you, Subhash.

I'm glad to hear that you have tested the use of client copy via system refreshed via the backup restore method.

My primary concern is that we don't impact production processing. By using a Production backup to refresh the Sandbox we avoid touching Production, all together. This would allow us to refresh the landscape clients as often as we wish, while only involving Sandbox, DEV and QA; and not involving Production (other than from the backup).

I have a related proposal...

What if I also restore QA from the same production backup, as well as the Sandbox?

This would ensure that the QA system is as close to Production as possible. Then, client copies could be made from either QA or Sandbox.

Is this a good idea?

Thank you.

Allan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Allan,

I prefer to restore the production backup to sandbox and quality, this is the best option, but keep in mind that your quality system will be in landscape so you have to configure the transport management system again if you restore the quality system.

So i think that you should restore the production backup into sandbox and then perform the remote client copy from sandbox to dev or quality.

Regards

Subhash

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Allan1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thank you for your help, Subhash and Martin.

Allan

martin_juen2
Contributor
0 Kudos

hi.

i would do it the following way:

1. client export from prod / 300

no copy to client 310;

2. deletion of client 200 / QA

3. import of the "client export" in QA / 200

4. deletion of client 100 / DEV

5. import of the "client export" in DEV / 100

6. deletion of the other required clients

7. import or local client copy to the additional required clients

8. import of the client export to the sandbox system

system copy is also ok.

i am not a friend of remote client copys because they need a lot of resources on both systems. and normally they run for a long time.

i prefer client exports - you do that once and always have the same (data consistency) for all your new clients.

regards,

martin

Allan1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Martin,

Thank you for your response.

My primary concern is that we don't impact production processing. The goal in using a Production backup to refresh the Sandbox is to avoid touching Production, all together. We only need the db backup.

Perhaps step 1 of your proposal could be revised to the following???

1a. Refresh Sandbox from Production db backup.

NOTE: We usually purge a few years of history from some tables in the production copy, to reduce space, before copying to the other landscape system clients. This could be done here.

1b. client export from sandbox/ 300

2. deletion of client 200 / QA

3. import of the "client export" in QA / 200

4. deletion of client 100 / DEV

5. import of the "client export" in DEV / 100

6. deletion of the other required clients

7. import or local client copy to the additional required clients

Does a client export/import provide better data consistency than client delete/copy?

Thank you.

Allan

martin_juen2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Allan.

I think you're right. It is better for the P-System when you do the DB-Restore on the sandbox system and the the client exports for the additional systems / clients. This sounds like the perfect solution for you!

best regards,

MArtin