cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UDS 4.0 against IP21

Former Member
0 Kudos

Forum,

From time to time our IP21 historian dB will be restarted. Hence any UDS instances against that IP21 dB will fail after the IP21 restart. Is there any way to detect whether the UDS connection is no longer connected to the IP21 dB and a possible solution for restarting the connection once the IP21 dB is back up. Of course it goes without saying, the detection method and restart method need to be performed programmatically.

Roger DeWeese

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Still have issues...

Former Member
0 Kudos

The features discussed in this thread do not apply to UDS within the 11.5 environment only the 12.x

0 Kudos

Hi Roger,

Just for you Information, I have got the same problem with IP21 (not historian) connecting from an UDS 4.0 sp2 in OLEDB.

When we stop and restart the IP21 server the UDS do not succeed to reconnect to the IP21 server.

We have to relaunch the UDS in order to fix the problem.

I have an opened OSS message about it.

I have to send the UDS log to SAP when I got the problem, but for the moment I cannot stop IP21 to test it .

I will let you know if SAP has a fix for this issue.

Regards

Jean-louis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Even we have the same issue. when IP21 is restarted ,we have to manualy restart the UDS.

I am curious as well to know the outcome of your Support ticket. Please do share.

In the mean time, what I have done is, I have created a very small transaction with a tag Query - for a tag - current query and I have scehduled it quite often.

If that transaction fails, I write a text file with a "Message" onto a folder.

Also, we have written and scheduled a perl script to read the text file and if it sees the error message, it restarts the UDS and deletes the text file..

Thanks,

Pramod

0 Kudos

Hi Pramod,

Interesting design approach. Are you looking at SAP Plant Connectivity 2.0 (PCo) yet? It has a notification feature which may help with this issue.

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

PCo can be used for IP21 Historians with OLEDB UDS connection?

Pramod

0 Kudos

Pramod,

Check the pinned threads at the beginning from John Shaefer. They may have the answer, but I think that they are mainly targetted to OPC connectors.

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mike, this is more a bug/defect in the OLEDB UDS. In my view, it needs to validate the health of the OLEDB connection before using it, and attempt to reconnect if possible, just like the IDBC connector does...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Roger,

There is an easy way to solve this issue. The OLEDB UDS has a flag called "_Persistent Connection_" which is hidden (So you have to go to the menu, View > Advanced Mode , to see it). Just set this flag to false.

The main problem isn't at all with the OLEDB UDS, and it isn't that there is anything with our software that we can detect IP21 failing (or even detect that a query failed). The issue is with the OLEDB Provider that IP21 delivers. Unfortunatly the IP21 OLEDB Provider can not detect that the IP21 server has crashed.

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Martin.

Actually, I think it could be addressed at the UDS level, much like it was handled in the IDBC connector (since most JDBC drivers also do not provide a "health indicator"). The technique was to use a low-cost (in terms of computing resources) "validation query" that issued a simple query using the connection being validated. If the query succeeds, the connection is healthy, if it does not, the connection is assumed to be problematic, is discarded, and a new one is used.

The problem with completely turning off connection pooling is that the overhead of connection for some of the "pseudo OLEDB" connectors is really substantial (e.g. measured in seconds).

Just a thought...

Rick

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

IP21 OleDB Provider?

The last time I checked it was a System DSN ODBC connection established to communicate to the IP21 server, and then the MII OleDB UDS uses the 'Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers' as a bridge.

Regards,

Jeremy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Diana,

I did not have UDS SP02, but I do now! I must say that the upgrade did not go as well as expected.

First off the original install location is on the E: drive. The setup.exe did not recognize the original location so it installed a new instance on the C: drive. In doing so it wiped out all the UDS entries in the old location and nothing in the new location. Therefore I had to recreate all the instances.

Second. After importing the old config file into the new location presumeably to restore the settings to each instance, I found the connection string encrypted. The connection string setup dialog would not load while this encryption string was in place. Therefore I deleted the encrypted string and created a new one.

Third. After saving and restarting each UDS things are working as they were before.

When I run http://us5079appp/Lighthammer/Illuminator?Server=Central_TZ_1&Mode=Service&Method=Reload

I get: The execution mode (Service) is not supported with this Server or Content-Type.

Roger

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roger,

I'm am looking into these issues - in the meantime, could you please open a message in the SAP Support system?

Thanks,

Diana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Roger,

SAP Note #1103946 describes the limitations with MII Version 11.5, the 4.0 UDS, and IP21. According to the note, these issues have been address in MII Version 12.0.

Kind Regards,

Diana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roger,

Have you installed SAP MII UDS 4.0 SP02? Please refer to SAP Note 1168660.

Very Kind Regards,

Diana Hoppe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jeremy,

Thanks for the reply. I did find something that could be useful, but when I execute the following url:

http://us5079appp/Lighthammer/Illuminator?Server=Central_TZ_1&Mode=Service&Method=Reconnect

I get this:

The execution mode (Service) is not supported with this Server or Content-Type

Any ideas?

Roger

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Roger,

Since the OleDB UDS is of the 4.0 vintage, you can look in the chm help documentation that came with it under the SAP xMII UDS --> Modes section (look for Diagnostic Mode and Service Mode). Or the online version: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_xmiiuds40/helpdata/en/index.htm

Perhaps a Mode=Status query, with appropriate conditional logic to call the Mode=Service&Method=xxxx will do the trick in a BLS transaction.

Regards,

Jeremy