cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to start CMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

I installed CR server XI on my local machine and CMS will not start. The log is:

assert failure: (.\ODBCDatabaseSubsystem_impl.cpp:1695). (SQL_SUCCEEDED( rc ) : no message).

Help?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Michael,

The assert failure error messages are quite common. I've seen them appearing in logfiles for deployments that run without a hitch whatsoever. So I don't think that's the issue.

To get a better understanding of what's happening in the background, try running your CMS with the -trace statement appended to the CMS commandline. This will create trace logs in the Business Objects logging folder. Remember to turn the tracing off when you have resolved the issue, as it will cause much overhead and has quite an impact on performance.

Should you fail to solve the issue by tracing the CMS, I suggest you create a call with support and send them your trace file. I'm sure they'll be able to help you out.

Good luck!

Kind regards,

Kristof

Former Member
0 Kudos

The trace gave me more info. Why is CMS trying to create a table in the database? This is READ ONLY.

Log: level=0 cat=14 msg=35101 p=The root server reported an error Initialization Failure. (Reason: Database access error. Reason [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]CREATE TABLE permission denied in database 'DataMart_STx'..).

trace message: SIServerController:run: Fail to initialize or uninitialize. Reason is The root server reported an error Initialization Failure. (Reason: Database access error. Reason [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]CREATE TABLE permission denied in database 'DataMart_STx'..).:Database access error. Reason [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]CREATE TABLE permission denied in database 'DataMart_STx'.. ODBC error:[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]CREATE TABLE permission denied in database 'DataMart_STx'.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The CMS should not be accessing a reporting database (which I presume DataMart_STx is). When you installed CRS, did you specify DataMart_STx as the CMS db?

The CMS db is separate from the reporting db. The CMS requires write privileges to the CMS db.

Former Member
0 Kudos

oops That explains it... During installation I was only half paying attention, when I saw 'database' I entered the reporting database instead of creating a new one for CMS.

Answers (0)