cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identify BOM Materials in the billing document

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We use sales BOMs and we need a way to identify that the material in the billing document is a component of a BOM. The sales order has a field VBAP-STLNR that gives the BOM explosion number so that a component of a BOM can be recognized.

Is there a way to identify a BOM component in the billing document ? There is a field VBRP-SERNR in the billing document, but this field remains blank for a Sales BOM.

Would appreciate inputs from the forum.

Thanks and regards

Rohit Zalani

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello, friend.

one way of identifying BOM components is by looking at the item numbers, but this depends on your configuration of line item numbering for doc types (look in VOV8).

normally, main or higher level materials are numbered in the tens, for example the first line item is 10, then the next is 20, etc.

if line item 10 material is a BOM, then the components would have line item numbers 11, 12, 13, etc.

in the sales order, you can tell if a material is a BOM or component by their item categories. i don't recall if the item categories are available in the invoice and i will get back to you on this. but if the item categories are available, then your problem will be solved.

regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your response. You are right in saying that BOM materials will be in increments based on how the item caegory has been defined. However, there could be situations where the lower level item could be generated as a result of a Free goods scenario / material determination.

We need to identify that the sub-item is due to a BOM explosion. Sales order is fine, but in the invoice document, we are looking for a field that could identify a sub-item as belonging to a BOM.

Thanks again and let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Regards

Rohit Zalani

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello again.

try table VBRP (billing doc) and field PSTYV (item category). specify item category TAE (if item category group and item category of higher level item are ERLA and TAQ, respectively) or TAN (if item category group and item category of higher level item are LUMF and TAP, respectively). these assume you use standard settings, of course.

post feedback if these helped.

regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan,

Appreciate yr response. We could use the item categories, but which would mean that if there are any changes / new item categories defined, the interfaces / extractors would change.

VBAP-STLNR gives a BOM explosion number. However, VBRP-SERNR ( which is also for BOM) does not get populated which is why there is no direct way in the billing document to identify a BOM.

The only other way is to read the reference sales order line item for the billing document and read VBAP-STLNR for that line item to determine if the line item in billing belonged to a BOM.

Let me know if you can think of any other way.

Regards

Rohit Zalani

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

claudia_neudeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

no action before 2 months