cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BO Xi R2 Designer - Read only accounts

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I'd like to find out if it is possible to create read only accounts in Business Objects Xi R2, specifically in the Designer tool. We have a few WRITE account, which are used by the system, but I'd like to create a read only account long with these WRITE accounts. I've been told by our developers that this is not possible and I'd like to confirm. I can't for the life of me understand how an application can be built that will not allow this level of access.

Thanks

Darrin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'd like to get the actual steps for how to create the read only account, but this answer from John was precisely the information I was looking for, an informative opinion with facts.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Darrin,

Within the CMC is the ability to control rights to applications. One of the applications is the "Designer". The rights entries for Designer include the ability to log on or not, Edit or not, Modify or not, and 7 other capabilities. Your cohorts should be able to permit a user or group to "view" or not. In our deployment only administrators can even run the Designer application, however, if permitting others with "read only", then this may be worth reviewing for you.

Thanks,

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

John

So, if I may, you are stating that there is no inherant limitation in the application itself that would prevent a read only group to be created that would allow me and my team to use designer from a purely read only aspect. Is this correct? If so, its just the answer I was hoping to find.

I'm not sure if this helps, but I manage a support team, who are only just getting involved in this instance of Business Objects and the underlying data it is being used to report on. We are thus not as versed in how this version of BO works. We've primarly supported 5.1 and 6.5 where we have full view access. Our organisation trys to keep Support and AD quite separate for audit purposes, which I support. I would, however, like to ensure though that my team have near equal access to the tools and functions of this latest version we now support as I feel it adds to long term supportability. Developes come and go, which is why a fully informed Support team is vital.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Darrin:

no inherant limitation in the application itself that would prevent a read only group to be created

Correct based on the indications of the permission entries within the CMC, however, I've not tested it myself but will leave that for you all to perform to your satisfaction. Thank you for clarifying the scenario, and as I read it another thought occurred to me in that the universe(s) themselves could be saved elsewhere "unlocked" (if you know the technique to which I'm alluding) which would give you and your team the access to open them, however, these copies of the universes would not be ever saved to the production repository. Hopefully based on your familiarity with Designer XI and my terminology you get my drift. So, these copies of "offline" universes could be provided after scheduled changes for you to view using your own resources and disk storage area, thus keeping the lines of delineation clear and separate. Based on your scenario and applying the mind of an auditor, the auditor could become suspect of "funny business" when he or she sees that your team can "log in to the universes" in the production environment but have "read-only access, wink, wink". However, by taking a copy of the universes "off-site" the lines are clearly drawn and leaves no room for concern -- just an observation I thought was worth pionting out. Best wishes.

John