cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BW Data Load Error Message

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have an ODS which automatically activates data directly from the PSA. There is no DTP. So when the load comes into BW through the RFC, it goes straight to the ODS for activation. The Dataflow was left in 3.5 and not migrated. I had to drop the data a reload after adding some new fields, and I'm trying to reload. Of course when that happens, there is alot of data to move. It is now in BW, and the load has failed giving the following error:

Processing in Warehouse timed out; processing steps mising

Diagnosis

Request processing in the BI system is taking a long time and processing step Second step in the update has still not been executed.

System Response

Caller is still missing.

Procedure

In the process overview in the BI system, check whether processes are running in the BI system under the background user.

If this is not the case, check the short dump overview in the BI system.

If you look in the details the error messages are showing up under the transfer idocs section saying data package arrived in BW; processing: second step not yet finished.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Side note: The number of active records in the ODS seem to be increasing, but I'm worried that it may fail completely. I had a similar issue previously where all the records were activated, but it would not update the change log and failed.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

udayabhanupattabhiram_cha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1) GO to the infopackage that you use to load this. In the Main Menu, there is a setting for time-out time (look around, its in the first left-most dropdown in main menu, it won't be obvious). THere set it for more than you think it will take to load and activate.

2) Use a Process Chain to complete these tasks. They are usually better in longer running loads than manually running them.

Uday-Ram Chamarthy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the quick reply. I updated the timeout time to 5 days, but it didn't affect the status of the data load or the updating of the IDOCS transfer.

I will try the process chain the next time I have to do this as per your advice . . . I'm just not sure what to do about this one.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey do this before first.

Load this in Process Chain.

Step-1: Load ODS

Step-2: Activate Data in ODS.

After you do this, atlest you know where the problem is. Loading very large records is better off here anyway (eventhought its a one-time load, it chould be done here).

I think after this load, you will be in a better position to atlest see where the problem is. Let me know after its done.

Uday-Ram Chamarthy

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's over 7 million records, and I hate to have to move that much data again unless it is the only way. If I do this, I guess I would have to go into SM51 and kill all the processes? It won't let me set the status of the load to red in the ods so I can delete it. I sure don't want this load and another running at the same time. I'd probably crash the system . . . unfortunatley AND I really needed this data in the system for reporting today.

Here's what I believe I'll do. I'm going to wait this out, because right now I'm at about 3.8 mil records active in the ODS. I'm going to let that finish and see what happens. If it short dumps or the QM goes red, then I'll delete, and run this in a process chain.

Couple of questions:

I'm thinking updating the time-out will only apply to new loads that's why it didn't have an impact on this particular load. So maybe in the future, could this potentially keep the load from short dumping and timing out for new loads?

Where is the disconect between the request status in the ODS vs. the load status in the infopackage? I would think they should be the same . . .

Thanks for your help

Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm thinking updating the time-out will only apply to new loads that's why it didn't have an impact on this particular load. So maybe in the future, could this potentially keep the load from short dumping and timing out for new loads?

yes, once you start the load, the changes you make for time-out time will not effect your exising/surrently running loads. It will effect the subsequent loads.

Where is the disconect between the request status in the ODS vs. the load status in the infopackage? I would think they should be the same . .

Why did you think there is a disconnect. Does the InfoPackage monitor say Red/Green and ODS QM says 'yellow'?

Sometime, there will be a seemingly disconnect between the two. If it is occurs regularly, look into any OSS notes. if this is happening for this type of very long running jobs, I won't waste time on it for now.

Good luck.

Uday-Ram Chamarthy

Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey, not that it matters, but is your load to ODS timing out.

OR

Activating the records in ODS.

These are two different tasks. If you tell me which one, I will see if I have any solutions.

You know that Activation is only after the loading is complete.

Uday-Ram Chamarthy

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm not 100% sure. If I go to "manage" my ods and look at the QM request status of the load is yellow, and like I said before, if I look at the active records, they seem to be increasing. I'm worried that even though the records are moving, that something may be corrupt in the process and may cause it to utimately fail in the end. So in the ods management it's yellow, and in the monitor for the infopackage the load has the red technical status with processing overdue.