cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BusObj general questions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I am trying to grasp an understanding of the BusObj tools without a salesperson telling me that "each tool can do everything I need".

I need assistance with the following 2 scenarios:

(1)

We keep track of records that can change data multiple times a week. For instance, on Monday:

FP1.0 = 10 records

FP2.0 = 20 records

By next Monday, management can re-target records to the correct FP:

FP1.0 = 15 records

FP2.0 = 15 records

Then next Monday:

FP1.0 = 15 records

FP2.0 = 30 records

Our current reporting environment has a (obsolete)tool that does data warehousing every Monday. With the Warehousing tool, we can get a trend chart that shows

how the number of records have changed for each feature package each Monday. We NEED to know that there were 20 FP2.0 records 3 weeks ago, down to 15, then back up to 30... If I use Crytal Reports, it seems like I would just get 30 records on this past Monday's date. The fields asked vary, so I can't script some type of "history-type" field to keep track on a weekly basis. Is there a "warehousing-type" tool from BusObj that does this and can replace our obsolete tool?

(2)

We do a lot of reporting with excel and pivot charts. I am told that Xcelsius can provide a better interactive solution, BUT, when reading what I can on the tool, it seems to use excel as the back-end. I assume this tool can connect to any data source? Like our data warehouse tool or something? Is it mostly a lot of VB scripting?

(2a)

We have a few managers that ask for just the smallest tweaks in the above excel charts multiple times a week. I have read of the web solution that allows for people to created their own reports, can it do Xcelsius-type charts as well?

thanks...

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

Thanks for replying...

I don't really have an understanding of the BusObj solutions, which is why I posted here. I don't know if there are other solutions/apps that can replace what I think are the correct solutions. Put generally:

(1)

We use a data warehousing tool that is obsolete. Does BusObj have a tool that does this for the type of collections described?

(2)

Is Xcelsius(sp) the only tool that does the kind of charts that excel does? With the whole pivot/interactive thing...

(2a)

We have to tweak charts at least once a week for management. Is there a solution that will allow them to do it for themselves, but is still "easy"? I am not sure if Xcelsius is an easy tool.

thanks...

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sterling, I really think question 2 and 2a should be posted to the Xcelsius forum. You are welcome to leave the post here of course and see if you get input to both the Xcelsius and warehousing questions.

As far a warehousing questions, see if the Enterprise Information Management

At the least in the above forum you may get more direction as to where you'll get the best answers. Also, remeber these forums are for Business Objects and Crystal reports solutions. SAP may also have a solution for you and you'll have to post to an SAP forum to get info from them.

Thank you for your understanding,

Ludek

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

These are pretty wide ranging questions, but most of them appear to realte to Xcelsius. Thus I would recommend that you also post this query to the Xcelsius forum:

That forum is monitored by qualified technicians and you will get a faster response there.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

I understand redirecting people to specific foruns if the question is clearly out of place but this is a pretty generic question. Why redirecting here?

And in what way is his first scenario (probably the most important because he detailed it) related to Xcelsius? Sorry, but this is a general forum for general questions, where you can even say "For scenario X I think solution Y is more suited then Xcelsius".

As for your general (first) question, you have two components, the data warehouse itself where all the business data is stored (BW, SQL Server, etc), and the visualization applications (Crystal Reports). If your historical data is stored in the data warehouse in a apropriate way, you can construct reports do show historical info.

It depends not so much on Crystal Reports (or Xcelsius, or WebIntelligence), but mainly on your analytical data model.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, not to put a too fine a point on it, but note that along with asking about warehousing, the post also specifies Xcelsius, no less than 2 times...

If you have specific answers / suggestions to the original post, please share those. Otherwise, I'd expect the original postee to decide for him self...

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would understand if you were a moderator in this forum. You're not, and it starting to become very annoying to look at every single thread and seeing your response "Please go here", "Please go there". Sorry but it's annoying.

Obvious redirections are ok I guess, if the question is clearly about Crystal Reports or Xcelsius, but this one is ridiculous. And I've seen several threads where just the mention of a certain component, even if it is asking for an opinion gets the "-> go here" response.

- The first question is clearly not related to Xcelsius, so your redirection will just point him in the wrong direction.

- The last question he is basically asking for a web reporting tool (WebI), and asks if it can do Xcelsius like graphics. So you should have forwarded him to the WebI forum, not Xcelsius

This is basically what happens when you see a word "Xcelsius" don't read anything else, and say "go here ->".

Sorry for the offtopic, but you're exagerating your redirections to the point where I question the existence of a General Forum.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Joao, I am an employee of Business Objects, an SAP company. I have the blessings of the management team to post here and I have their OK to ask customers to post in the correct forums. It is to your and other user's advantage to post in the correct forums. In this way, all post regarding, say .NET development are in a correct place and can be searched there. This is much like a library. I would suspect you may agree that placing all books about Brazil on a shelf that contains books about South America, makes it much easier to find the book there as opposed to placing it in a "general" books shelf? If you would like to continue with this discussion furhter, please create a new thread.

Ludek