cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unique Data Records

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, In Production system, I have an ODS ( 3.5 ) containing approximately 100 million records. The setting "Unique Data records" is set to 'ON' ( the checkbox is checked ).

I am planning to uncheck it and send the transport to Production.

Please let me know if there is any risk in doing that.

( Performance or otherwise .. Is it true that load time will increase during activation and if so how much)

Reason why I want to do that.

Everytime I get the duplicate record the load fails. Unchecking the box will overwrite the record and load will not fail.

Thanks for your interest.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

Don't see any risk doing that, just the risk of the opposite.

If you choose unique records you must be really sure that you won't have duplicate records otherwise you'll encounter that error.

Off course choosing that option will improve performance in activating the ODS, but only if you don't load duplicate the records you can use it otherwise remove the tick.

Diogo.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs.

Sometimes I need a reload of data and that gets triggered from R3 without any schedule. This may bring the same full load data twice. Thats is the reason of dup record.

Former Member
0 Kudos

And that's a good reason you should remove the tick...

Diogo.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You need to check if there are errors that deliver the double records. Then it might be ok to leave the flag on. Be aware that you can set the status to green if there are only a few errors, you can change it in the info package (there is a button error handling).

If it is ok from a business point of view to overwrite it then you can turn it off. Then it was an error to turn it on originally.

Best regards

Dirk

udayabhanupattabhiram_cha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hello, In Production system, I have an ODS ( 3.5 ) containing approximately 100 million records. The setting "Unique Data records" is set to 'ON' ( the checkbox is checked ).

> I am planning to uncheck it and send the transport to Production.

>

> Please let me know if there is any risk in doing that.

> ( Performance or otherwise .. Is it true that load time will increase during activation and if so how much)

> Reason why I want to do that.

> Everytime I get the duplicate record the load fails. Unchecking the box will overwrite the record and load will not fail.

>

> Thanks for your interest.

Yes, your activation will be increase. I don't remember a quantitative number, but atleast by about 25 %. Someone else could give you a number if they recently took one.

The second question is a modeling issue. Why are you getting duplicate records. Is your Key for ODS too small?

If its OK to loose records, then go ahead and do this. But remember, if you have key figures, check to see if you need:

Overwrite

OR

Summation.

THis answer is given in business requirements. Your data will change. So talk to someone befoe you transport this big change.

Uday-Ram Chamarthy