cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAO Connector Error Code 0xc5b

Former Member
0 Kudos

Each month I create the same report which is taken from an Exel spreadsheet of our help desk tickets. I go through the whole report wizard, only to get

"Database Connector Error: 'DAO Error Code: 0xc5b

Source: DAO.Database

Description: The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add. Try inserting or pasting less data.'

The first few times I created this report I never had a problem, and I'm not doing anything different, so I don't know what's causing it. I haven't been able to find any satisfactory info on the internet. I hope you can help!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

1. What version of Crystal Reports are you using? State the exact number in the Help/About.

2. Do you get the same/similar issue if you try another Excel spreadsheet?

3. Which version of Excel are you using? Is it Office 2007, 2003, so on?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joey,

Thanks for your reply. I did try it on another spreadsheet, and did not have a problem, so I took the data and created a new spreadsheet. It worked fine. I still do not know what caused the problem, since the data and the format were the same, but I was able to use a previous report as a "template" and set the database location to the new spreadsheet so I didn't have to recreate the whole report format, which was my overall intent. Thanks again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem. i didn't change anything, it just stopped working. i tried creating another file and changing the source locationa and I still get the same error. I am using Crsytal XI, Excel 2003 and am using Excel as the database. Thius has happened before but one day it works, next day it doesn't.Cant figure out why...Please help!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just had the exact same problem but managed to solve it as follows :

1. I removed all the data fields in the report.

2. I added them back in one by one and each time refreshed the data to see if it would complete successfully.

3. By this trial and error, I found one field that was causing the problem. The report would process successfully if this field was left out.

4. I then created a report with just this field in it and it retrieved the data successfully.

5. I next added the group sections (I had two) into the new single field report and it then failed with this error. I narrowed this down to one group which seemed to cause the problem.

6. In the original report, I modified the grouping to use a different set of fields that would get the same result as before. I then re-ran the report and it now works successfully.

Of course, I have no idea why this worked but it seems the problem lies in the report sequencing which may affect the data retrieval engine as it tries to work out the data type and other field properties from the spreadsheet. I've certainly had similar problems importing Excel into SQL Server .

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Bob

BTW The above occurred today in version 12.0.0.683 of Crystal Reports 2008