Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

procedure restore Differential backup and to restore windows 2003 server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

i am sticking at some of the points

1. As per company policy they want to take full SAP offline + Redo log files backup once every two week and twice a week the differential backup. I suggested them the differential backup twice a week but now i have a question in mind since i never done it practically Do i need to have anything else like Log file to restore the Differential backup apart from full SAP backup or i can restore data with only Full SAP backup and differential backup.

2. I am not much familiar with Windows 2003 server backup, If i take full Widows 2003 server backup will i be able to restore windows server along with installed SAP and all other software in case something happen to my server.

if the answer is yes what are the pre-requisite if there be any to do the same. from the pre-requisite i mean do i need to be on same hardware as my previous server was or i can restore it on any other system too?

i will appreciate any reply on the same.

Mani

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mandy,

a very good blog for differential backup for the purpose of disaster recovery.

hope this helps.

Debasis.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well the document is very nice, but i m looking any step by step guide to restore MSSQL and windows.

if you can help me in this that would be very nice.

Mani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mandy,

I am not sure weather you are treating Windows 2003 and SAP Backup i.e SQL Backup as two seperate things.

SQL Backup : If you take MS SQL Backup ( directly from MSSQL or Schdule it from SAP DB13) and take full backup once a week or twice a week eg: Sunday full backup followed by monday, tuesday differential(Midnight) backups and Wednesday full backup again followed by Thursday and Friday differential(midnight).

Should the database need to be restored to thursday @ 4:30 AM, you will restore Wednesday full backup + Thursday diffential + any log files backup taken there after.

Windows 2003 Backup:

Regarding this, You do not have to take Full Windows backup every day. You may take backup of few files / network drives, which can be restored directly while you are logged in to Server. It is sright forward.

Sienario: When whole C drives of Windows crashed. To prepare for this sicenaro, you should take Windows system backup when ever you make chnages to kernal, SQL upgrade or before and after Windows patching.

If the server crashes due to hardware failure, you should restore the server from backup .. ( for this there are different methods, like boot from boot disk and attach tape drive and restore or boot from disk and attach to NAS device and restore, you have to refer Windows 2003 restoration methods or consult your Windows specilist) which will bring back OS, kernal and SQL to normal state. and followed by SQL restore.

Hope this helps.

Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Please tell me how to Windows server 2003 FULL OS backup.

Please sahre the types of FULL OS Backup.

Is their any possibility in MS SQL server 2005 & Windows server2003 OFFLINE Backup concept.

Thanks

Nekkalapu

Answers (0)