cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background Job running long time.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

One of customer background job running for long time more than 11 hours, but usually this jobs get completed within 4 hrs.

I have checked in WP trace file, it shows "WP has reached abap/heaplimit=40000000".

This is the Value I can see in RZ11. Now it is not possible to change the value.

Frequently facing this problem, please guide me to solve this issue.

Regards

Vinay.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

But today again I have faced the same issue.

Background job running for a long time, same log in trace file "WP has reached abap/heaplimit=40000000"

Anyother way to solve this problem or troubleshoot this problem.

Regards

Vinay

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Do some basic checks,

- background processes are free or not.

- SM21 any specific message?

- SM50 monitor how much memory the background workprocess is taking

- ST06 - processor free or not.. or 100% used?

What is this background job is for? is it running a customized report? in that case, has there been any changes to the report causing this long time..?

Take the help of your developers to give some insight on this.

Hope this helps,

Debasis.

former_member197561
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Looks very much like you need more memory to complete the processing -

increase abap/heaplimit=40000000" to 2 GB and restart the ABAP server.

Best Regards,

Sylvia

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

Thanks for your reply

Yes, sufficient background work processes available !!!!

For additional jobs, yes lot of batch jobs running on daily basis, I will also check for custom program & Variants changes.

Last week I have created OSS Message for this, let seeu2026

Vinay..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

Have you got the solution from SAP , I am also facing same kind of issue. Could you share your solution.

Thanks,

Prabhat Sharma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not yet,

Waiting for SAP Reply.

former_member308521
Discoverer
0 Kudos

What is OS and Database ? . We had similar issue, on Windows 2003. Implemented Zero Memory Management and problem is resolved.

What is the maximum swap file usage ? Do you have optimum Swap file size ?

Regards,

K

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

What was the final outcome of the SAP reply then?

Please share.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

Any additions in the background jobs which are running concurrent time.

Do you have sufficient WP to execute all these background jobs?

I would say kindly check whether there were some additional jobs which were added recently on the system.

You can also check whether there was any changes to the custom programs which runs in this job.

I doubt these should be some changes in variant or program which runs.

Regards

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

First of all, abap/heaplimit is the limit of memory usage by a WP.

Follwing is the documentation from help.sap.com

The value of the parameter should be between 10000000 (10 MB) and 2000000000 (2GB), the recommended default setting is 40000000 (40 MB).

The objective is to have the least number of work process restarts as possible, without a swap space bottleneck occurring. The heap memory allocated by the work processes has to be released again.

As shown in the graphic, the value of abap/heaplimit should be smaller than abap/heap_area_dia or abap/heap_area_nondia, so that the dialog step that is running can still be executed. This prevents the work process from working against the operating systemu2019s swap space limit if there is a programmed termination of the work process.

So,Do the above checks. And importantly check the memory utilizations at the time of running your job and check whether any other job was also running at the sametime.

Increasing the parametes is not a good idea.. If you continuously face this issue then only think of parametes. As u said ,this problem is not happenng too often.

Hope this is useful

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

abap/heaplimit = 40000000 bytes. When this amount is exceeded, a work process is restarted after execution.

abap/heap_area_nondia is the heap memory limit that is set for a BGD workprocess.

There is no need to worry for changing the parameter abap/heaplimit. This doesn't cause to stop a workprocess while its running..

The problem lies somewhere else. Have a close look on the SM21 logs if there is any memory related issue. do you see something specific in the job logs?

Thanks,

Debasis.