cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with CJK fonts when converting to PDF

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am using crystal report of visual studio 2005 to generate the report. The Asian Characters (Japanese, Chinese & Korean) are displaying fine in crystal reports but when the are converted to pdf (not using any converter for this using dot net mechanism ) Asian characters are getting converted into boxes. Can anyone tell me how to correct this?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lori,

Have a look to this thread:

[;

Hope that helps!!

Regards,

Shweta

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for all the great suggestions anyone with this issue will find help reading this thread.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for all of your suggestions, we had another requirement trumph this one and we will be try to test the suggestions this week. I am working with another developer who is doing this. I can see that the font is not being embedded in the pdf file. We have a save as feature for Excel and Word and the fonts appear in both of those correctly. I will post when we figure out what the problem was so others can benefit from it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We found the problem to be our corporate licensed font, we stitched to Arial unicode MS and we can now see all the fonts. Our corporate site says it can be embedded but it would not embed the fonts into the pdf file.

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Boxes mean the glyph for the character was not found in the font specified.

When you open the PDF in Adobe Reader, and look at the "Font" in the Document Information, is the font you've specified for the text listed?

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

0 Kudos

Go into Control Panel and Regional and Language settings. Click on the Language tab and check on Install Files for complex scripts... The click on the Advanced Tab and under the Default user settings check on Apply all settings...

If that does not work then you can work around it this way. CR will not embed licensed font, if this is the case you can export the report to Editable RTF format, open the report in Microsoft Word 2007 and use their export to PDF add in feature.

It requires a reboot.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just an extension to Don's suggestion :-

You can find this plugin at-

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4D951911-3E7E-4AE6-B059-A2E79ED87041&displa...

Hope it helps.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The links in the thread specified by Shweta may not work for you. If that is the case, try [this|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/oss_notes/sdn_oss_boj_erq/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/scn_bosap/notes.do] link.

Ludek