cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Report in .NET 2003 but Deploying on Server that has Crysal XI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. We have an application that we built for a customer some time ago using Visual Studio .NET 2003. We used the Crystal Reports version that came with Visual Studio .NET 2003.

The customer would like to modify the report (.RPT) from their end. They have Crystal Reports XI which we currently do not own.

My question is this, how do we go about re-compiling our application (since it's the one that prints the Crystal Report) to use the Crystal Reports XI that's on the client's PC without us having Crystal Reports XI?

Hopefully this question makes sense. Please let me know if you require any additional information.

Thanks in advance.

-- Val

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Val. the answer in a nut shell is; you can not. You will have to obtain version XI, recompile your app and distribute the CR XI runtime to the customer's computer.

Now, there is this to consider for you; As long as the customer does not use new features in CR XI, the CR 9 runtime will be able to run those reports. Most used new feature is parameter prompting, so if they stay away from that your app should be able to handle those reports.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

Thank you for the response. A quick follow-up. We create a PDF copy of the resport thru the .NET application. Do you see that as potentially posing any problems?

Thanks

-- Val

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't see that posing any problems at all. Only thing I would recommend is if you run into issues with the export, check out latest service packs before anything else, no matter what the version of CR used. It looks like PDF exports always come up with a few things that are resolved pretty quickly in SPs.

Latest SP for your version of CR (9.1?), is here:

ftp://ftp1.businessobjects.com/outgoing/chf/crnet11win_en.zip

I believe the above SP can be applied directly to the client computers, should you wish to do so. In subsequent versions of CR, you actually have to create new deployments with msm or msi files that have been SP'd. E.g.; SP will not install on client computers directly.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

Thanks again for quick response. I appreciate it.

Have a great day.

Val

Answers (0)