cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Navigation Connector - When is it executed?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm implementing an external navigation connector. My understanding was that the connector was executed at the potal runtime, and therefore the navigation tree from the external system is fetched every time a user opens a portal. However, it appears that it gets executed when I deploy the par file to the server??? If that's the case, this connector is no good since the navigation tree from the external system will be stale! Am I doing something wrong or missing something?

Help!

Mina

Edited by: Mina Gould on Oct 3, 2008 5:59 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mina,

this answer comes too late I guess but still...

external navigation connectors are invoked when the portal needs to build the navigation tree. This usually happens when a navigation is being performed (i.e. the user has clicked somewhere in the TLN or DLN). There's no reason for invoking the connector right after deploy if that's so there's something wrong.

Bear in mind that portal does not support caching for external navigation connectors (I assume you are using 04s). It says it does support but there is an internal bug and as a matter of fact you have to take care for caching your navigation trees by your self.

Good luck and best regards,

--epexpert

Former Member
0 Kudos

I appreciate you taking the time to follow up on this question.

Regards,

Mina

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mina,

I dont think it will execute after deployment itself.

You have to use that connector in portal whenever you need by executing at portal runtime

Koti Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply, Koti.

I know it does not make sense, but when I print a message (fake error message just to see when it's called) from the Navigation connector, it gets logged after the deployment. When I actually launch a portal, the mesage does not get logged!

I'm so confused.

Thanks,

Mina

Edited by: Mina Gould on Oct 6, 2008 4:40 PM

Edited by: Mina Gould on Oct 6, 2008 4:40 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

For those who are interested...

It was because of how the sample code was built. Now that I modified how it would work, it executes at the true runtime.

Thanks,

Mina