cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CR XI used with Visual Studio 2008 Question

0 Kudos

I have been using CR Xi version 11.0.0.1994 with VS2003 with no issues.

I have converted my WEB application to VS 2008 and when i goto export a report, to PDF i get the following error:

Method 'ISCREditableRTFExportFormatOptions_reserved5' on type 'CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ReportDefModel.EditableRTFExportFormatOptionsClass' from assembly 'CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ReportDefModel, Version=11.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' is overriding a method that has been overridden.

This is what i have in my web.config:

<add assembly="CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine, Version=11.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/>

<add assembly="CrystalDecisions.ReportSource, Version=11.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/>

<add assembly="CrystalDecisions.Shared, Version=11.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/>

<add assembly="CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=11.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/>

<add assembly="CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ClientDoc, Version=11.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/>

<add assembly="CrystalDecisions.Enterprise.Framework, Version=11.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/>

<add assembly="CrystalDecisions.Enterprise.InfoStore, Version=11.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/>

<add assembly="CrystalDecisions.Enterprise.Web, Version=11.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/>

Does anyone know if this is a Release issue?

I noticed there are Release 1 and 2 out...is that something I have to buy? or can i download them through the SAP site?

I can view the reports i just cant export them...can someone let me know what they think.

Thank you in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Thank you all for your kind and quick responses.

I would like to stick with VS2008....so that leaves me 1 option

Use the embedded CR2008(10.5) that comes bundled with VS2008

frankly i dont really use CRxi I usually do all my Report Design in VS2008 using the Designer, so maybe it wont be that large of a deal.

The manner in which i use CR is i set the report via a Dataset( i think they call that the Push method)

~~~~~~~

On my Windows Server 2003 (IIS) i have a website for my 1.1 website....that uses CRXi

Id like to have another website 2.0/3.5 that uses CR2008, what merge modules do i need to make that happen? or cant it?

I would like to have both sites online...both sites are managed and hosted internally all on 1 server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

well about the runtime file click [here|http://resources.businessobjects.com/support/additional_downloads/runtime.asp] and choose the version of the CR that you use according to the service pack.

Make sure that if you install different runtimes on a same server it might create issue.

Hope that helps

Amit

Edited by: Amit Singh on Oct 3, 2008 6:24 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes - there's a stand-alone MSI file for deploying the CR Basic for VS2008 runtimes. It's available for download in the [Downloads|http://service.sap.com/bosap-downloads] section, and I believe there's also an unpatched MSI that gets distributed as part of your VS2008 install if I'm not mistaken.

As a side note, "CR2008" (Crystal Reports 2008) is actually a separate, stand-alone product (version 12.x references) - it's easy to confuse the two, but the runtimes aren't interchangeable, so be careful!

0 Kudos

Thank you again for the responses.

Just so I am clear on everything...

1. CRXi does not work with .net 2.0 +

2. VS2008 comes with CR2008(10.5) and does support 2.0, 3.0, 3.5

3. I MAY NOT be able to run both versions on my server.

My final question....What limitations are there to the bundled version of CR2008 that came with my VS2008?

Id like to use this for my intranet and have about 20 people or view reports via their browsers. Can this be done with the CR2008 version(10.5)?

0 Kudos

Hi Philip,

Just to clarify as Trista mentioned Cr 2008 is NOT the version or what we call it that comes with .NET 2008.

It's version 10.5, a flavor or Crsytal Reports 10.

Yes you can run both but be careful mixing the versions in your applciation.

The version that comes with .NET 2008 is called CR Basic. As suggested by the name it is a stipped down version of the full Crystal Reports 2008 Developer version and therfore has a limited set of API's and functionality. Basically you can open a report, set log on properties and view. It does not allow you to make any changes to the report through code, although the IDE does allow you to alter the report. Some limitations from the full Report Designer and limitations in the Database connections also.

THe Help file in the .NET IDE has more info on what API's are available.

Thank you

Don

0 Kudos

OHHH I must have missed that...

CR2008 newest version (12?) works with 2.0 +

VS2008 ships with CR Basic(10.5) works with 2.0+

like i said i pass a dataset to the report and load it that way. I load my field Def via XML. I never connect a report directly to a database.

It is a very basic usage. I have about 35 reports made in CRXi

0 Kudos

As for running both, i meant run both on my web server one site would use CRXi and the other CR Basic

Atleast that is what i HOPE to happen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yup, that's correct. The deployed runtimes for XI and CR Basic 2008 will coexist on a server.

Sounds like you should be fine. The main concern that I have is for your reports - if you're using the CR Basic 2008(10.5) runtimes with your CR XI reports, the reports are by technical definition created in a later version of Crystal Reports. If the reports are simple, this generally isn't an issue. However, it's possible that some features available in XI aren't available in CR Basic 2008, and that could cause problems. You should be able to 'regress' the reports by opening them in the VS2008 report designer (make sure your project references are all version 10.5) and saving them.

As for XML, you should be fine so long as you're using the ADO.NET/XML driver.

0 Kudos

On my local machine in IIS i have a Virtual Directory mapped to:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Business Objects\3.0\crystalreportviewers11\

with CR Basic, where do map the similar direcory?

The reason I ask is b/c I run my report via the CR Basic DLLs and the Report toolbar has red x's in it. Which I assume is b/c i dont have a VD mapped in IIS since that is where I run my apps.

did that make sense?

0 Kudos

I am downloading

Merge Modules for Crystal Reports 10 and the RDC - English

I will install this on my local PC, and then if it work ill load it on my Win Server 2003(once everything is working.)

Is that right file? I read the description and it seemed like what I was looking for.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hold up. The CR 10 RDC merge modules aren't the correct runtimes. The RDC is a completely different SDK that wasn't designed for use in .NET. You want the Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008 runtimes for your deployment machine,

The website hosting the CRXI application should be using the 1.1 framework. You'll need another website configured for the 2.0 framework for your CR Basic application. Make sure you're using the correct version of the viewer control (check the HTML markup for the control version). The viewers folder is located at <your_root_website_folder>\aspnet_client\system_web\2_0_50727\CrystalReportWebFormViewer4.

0 Kudos

Thanks.

I got my reports looking and running correctly in VS 2008 via CR Basic(5 days later, lol). AMAZING!

By chance do you have a link for what I'd need to download to allow CR basic to run on my server?

Former Member
0 Kudos

To run reports on server you need to have runtimes on server.

which can be downloade from [here|http://resources.businessobjects.com/support/additional_downloads/runtime.asp#09]

Hope that helps

Regards,

Amit

0 Kudos

Amit, I have downloaded and installed the Merge Mod....the msi seems to be a self install. I clicked it once and it started loaded something then went away...no errors. I assume it installed itself. How can I check?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

The dll's must get registered in assembly and you can also check it from add and remove programs which is under control panel.

you can also check the version of dll's in c:\widows\assembly.

Hope that helps!!

Regards,

Amit

0 Kudos

Thank you that worked like a charm!

CR is working BEAUTIFULLY! ~~~~ the next thing on my list of things to do is figure out why my web app runs like molasses. I am using Access as my database...I dont think it would be that?

I use Access for my .net 1.1 app and it ran alright...not blazing fast...but .net 2.0+ with my access db is slower than heck. cant figure out why....the source code is the same.

I know this is a CR forum...but do you have any thoughts or ideas?

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

0 Kudos

Also for a side note....

You can have both runtimes on the server at once...you just need to have the proper VD mapped in your IIS.

thanks Amit, and Trish (Crystal Reports Angels!)

0 Kudos

That dosent look like what I need.

errr...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Crystal Reports XI isn't designed to integrate with VS2008 and hasn't been through any regression testing with it. More importantly, the XI Release 1 DLLs aren't signed for the 2.0 framework (or any later one). Currently, the only stand-alone product that will work with VS2008 is Crystal Reports 2008. Alternatively, you could use the bundled assemblies which come with VS2008 (version 10.5).

Release 2 of Crystal Reports XI (a free download for customers with Release 1 keycodes) will work with VS2005 and Framework 2.0.

0 Kudos

Also,

My site uses Framework 2.0

After some more reading...it looks like i have to have Xi Release 2

Do I have to pay for that or is that something that can be downloaded?

Thank you in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

would like to inform that VS 2008 is compatible only with CR2008 SP0 and with CR 10.5 which comes with VS 2008.

Well upgradation to CR XI R2 (11.5) is free and can be downloade from [here|http://resources.businessobjects.com/support/additional_downloads/service_packs/crystal_reports_en.asp#CRXIR2].

Service Pack 2 - Full build - ZIP - 1.03 GB - released April 2007

Note:-CR XI R2 is compatible with CS2003 ans VS2005.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Philip,

Would like to inform you that CR XI is not compatible with VS 2008. Only CR 2008 SP0 is. So anyways, even if you have CR XIR2 and you plan to use VS 2008, it wont work. The only option in this case is upgrading to CR 2008 (if you would keep VS 2008). Or switch to VS 2005 to use it with CR XIR2

Please revert for any doubts regarding the same

Ranjeet.