cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple connections via xml maps

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am currently using Engage SP1 version of Xcelsius. (not Engage Server.)

As noted in other posts, this version of the product does not all allow multiple connections to web services using the connectivity tools built into the Xcelsius development environment.

However I've found there is no such limit placed on the number of web service connections if you set them up in Excel (as xml mappings) and then import that excel spreadsheet as the model for Xcelsius.

I've tested this by connecting to three different web services using 3 xml maps in Excel and then importing that excel file as the model for Xcelsius to use. The xcelsius model worked flawlessly displaying data from all three web services on the dashboard (swf).

The only limitation I've found is that the excel XML mapping tool doesn't offer a way to feed a value as input for the web service. In the example all three web services required no input values.

They just run when called and return data. (no parameter required.)

However my attempts to setup an xml mapping to a web service that requires an input parameter has failed.

There seems to be no way to feed the web service an input value within Excel. I realize that may be an Excel support issue, but have found no documentation in the Excel product or websites to explain how to setup the xml map to allow for the input.

I should note, that i have connected successfully using a web service url that contains the parameter values hard coded (but no successess passing them in from excel at the time of the web service call.)

If anyone has solved this issue any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by: Blake Dodds on Oct 3, 2008 5:38 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, when you are maping an xml file in excel you have only imported the data that contains the file but not the query, you have to update the file but i dont know if excelsius will allow to reimport the xml in the datasheet when its in a swf format. I have a similar issue because mapping its almost equal to copy the entire data base.

I am trying to make a web service that contains more that one query and generate the xml in a schema that will be helpfull for me to make a general configuration.

I have to make 5 or 6 drill downs whit specific information :s and i havent get any response. My limitation its that i have the same version that you have only one conection but if i can do that web service it will be very helpfulll and i will be using like 500 rows. I dont whant to make it in diferent xcelsius templates because i havent found an alternative to conect the "filters" to each template.

Second Xcelsius has make a point that its a waste to buy even the engage version but this is what my company whants and i have to use it.

If you know flash you can do it in a very efficient way, also you need to have a general idea of programing an application.

I didnt know flash but in this time 2 months have finish the project, the problem its that is not in excelsius >,>. And they what it in excelsius so they can modify the source files (.xlf).

If i can do the web service i will post it and maybe it can help you. Good luck if you success in your idea.