Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

message type and data types

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi all,

the following is a statement in help.sap

"For technical reasons, a data type is not sufficient to describe the instance of a message. In XML schema, data types are defined as abstract types that are not yet fixed to an element"

as per the above where can i see the data types being defined as abstract types ? can i see them in the xsd ?or did i misunderstand the statement ...

"that(data types) are not yet fixed to an element"

what does it mean? why message types alone can be assigned to elements , why not data types?

if message types alone has some functionality why cant data types have them ?

please elaborate .

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

dharamveer_gaur2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi

The message type will be the root of ur XML message .Thats why you need to map the Message Type and not the Data Type which give the structure to the Message Type. Data types just define the abstract XSD structure . but since In XI we are using XML langauge. so We need a Root element in our message. that root element is added by Message type.

means Data type is just an abstarct structure and message type adds root element to data type

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

1 > A data type</i> in a programming language is a set of data with values having predefined characteristics. Examples of data types are: integer, floating point unit number, character, string, and pointer.

The characteristic of columns and variables that defines what types of data values they can store. Examples include character, floating point and integer

Check out the details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_type

A message type comprises a data type that describes the structure of a message. At the following points in SAP Exchange Infrastructure you can refer to the message to be exchanged at runtime by using the message type:

details:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/2d/c0633c3a892251e10000000a114084/content.htm

2) Regarding the difference between XI 3.0 and PI 7.0, this threads will clear your doubts:

Regard's

Chetan Ahuja