Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reuse of data types throughout different SWCV's

Former Member
0 Kudos

G'day all,

we sit with the following scenario:

• We've got 3 SWCV's: one SWCV holding LEGACY system objects, one SWCV holding SAP system objects and one SWCV holding COMMON objects that can be reused in LEGACY and SAP SWCV.

• We have set the dependencies in the SLD so that LEGACY and SAP both depend on COMMON.

• When defining complex datatypes in LEGACY or SAP SWCV, we cannot use datatypes from COMMON.

• The online help is a bit unclear on this:

<i>"You can structure data types in a nested way by referencing data types from a complex data type. However, you must ensure that the referencing and the referenced data type are <b>shipped together</b> otherwise the data type definition is not complete. For this reason, the following restrictions exist for the use of data types (see also: Version Management):

Simple Type The same software component version or a sub-software component version of the referencing data type

Complex Type The same software component versions or sub-software component versions of the referencing data type </i>

• Does the above statement ("shipped together") imply that a reuse across SWCV's is not possible, even though you have created corresponding dependencies ? I find that hard to imagine.

• What's more, message types can use data types from different SWCV's. That would appear inconsistent to me then.

Anyone out there who could enlighten me ? I appreciate any kind of feedback !

Thanks a lot in advance !

Jochen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_grube
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is more or less a restriction for SAP internal use.

We group our stuff to software components which could be shipped separately. In that case a referenced data type from another software component might not be available in a customer system.

When you do development for a customer, you need not care about this. Just make sure that all dependent objects are transported from dev to prod the same time.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Stefan,

so if I understand you correctly, the use across SWCV's <i>should</i> work. However, if I try to do that in XI, I do get the message:

This data type cannot be used here.

Do you have an idea what I might be missing ?

Thanks !

Jochen

stefan_grube
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Look at Michal's weblog:

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/08/26/xi-are-you-independentfrom-your-dependencies

When everything is done correctly, the related SWVCs appear under <i>Basis Objects</i>. Even this is a copy of the original SWVCs you are only allowed to take the objects from here.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a ton, Stefan ! The reimport of the SWCV did the trick !

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jochen,

As far i am concern you can refer your datatypes within the same SWVC,as you try F4 from the complex datatype it shows you the result for that SWVC.

The below statements concern while transportation of objects.

refer to the 4 point from this link,

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2004/helpdata/en/2d/c0633c3a892251e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

cheers!

Venkat