cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restoring Tablespace in different location from the original location

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts

We are doing an Restoing of production database in to an another server. where the production database runs on Windows and the sap directories has been stored in 6 drives but in the second servder which has only 3 drives but high capacity. we want to restore the files from the production database (hich will have the drive reference ) to the new server ( which has 3 drives only) by referring only the sap directories so that it is safe to pull the data

in brrestore how the comman / syntax should be?

could any one guide us

regards

bala

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experst

We have done the brrestore successfully by changing the directory path in the backup log and restored fully.

Now i explain scenario of my present situation.

Our present working APO3.1 on 4.6D kernel on Windows 2003. Recently i have upgraded the oracle 9.2.06 to 10.2.0.2. and sucessfully working . Due to some avoidable circumstances we want to change from 64bit server to 32 bit sever(less power consumption).

So In our new 32 bit server we have installed Windown2003R2. and we planned to install APO 3.1 on Kernel 4.6D as similar to our present working server. Where we want to restore the backup of that 64bit server online to this 32 bit server. and making golive.

For this activity I have installed Oracle 10g patch 10.2.0.2. and I have tried to install APO3.1 with 4.6D kernel but by numerous attemp[ts we could not succeed because of the schema so we have made an alternate plan like restoring the backup of the working server and installing the application instance on this server and connecting this two.

Now i have installed the oracle 10.2.0.2 and restores the backup and installed the application instance. now we want to activate the sap now. how to do it.

if u need please query me for the further clarification

Regards

bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear AC

Thank you guidelines. could u give me step by step procedure so that i could calculate the timing and inform the users accordingly. this would be grest help for me

regards

bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bala,

If you want to vouch for the oracle brcopy method and want to copy the database files across/via a db backup, please follow the section on "Oracle-Specfic Procedure"

in the guide "System Copy for SAP Systems Based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0 SR3 ABAP" (pg # 59, Section 5.1).

It is available at the following website:

https://websmp209.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000416392008E.pdf

ORABRCOPY.SAR archive is available from the SAP Installation Master DVD as discussed in the guide. You will also get the pdf guide for ORABRCOPY from this .SAR file itself.

Hope this helps.

- Regards, Dibya

Former Member
0 Kudos

As Dibya said, it is better to follow the guide but to help you out a little more I should said that the longest part is to copy the files, you could try copying 2 or 3 Gb's to get some idea how much the copy time will be (based of course in the DB size) and then add around 30 minutes to post processing that is the time that the system will be down because the pre process will be done in the new system so you don't have to take down the Prod. server during the initial phases. In fact the initial Phase is like installing ECC the only change is that it asks less information and instead of import EXP DVD's it will use the copied files.

Just run BRCOPY at any time before the copy ( it will take the system down for about 5 minutes) and prepare the control.sql so it will reflect the new path for the datafiles.

It is not a difficult procedure at all.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Are you able to do an offline backup or can you shutdown your Production server during a day?

If so you could just use the homogeneous system copy and instead of doing a backup just copy data files from source server to the disks in your target server (in any drive you want), modify control.sql generated with BRCOPY tool using the path you need for every DATA directory and wait around 30 minutes for the system to finish the process.

I have done this many times with no problems and it do not takes much, usually takes me less than 8 hours depending on the database size (less than 200Gb) and with a good connection between servers (or a crossover cable if lan cards works at 1000gb)

Good luck

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you can also modified the .afd to change the location of the files to be restored.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have referred the note Note 122363 - DB copy (Restore) w/ retained struct. on Windows NT for this. I had the doubt of whether two drives can merge in one drive.

regards

bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks for your guidelines.as per this i will try it and revert. but whether it should be full or all option. since we want ot restore entire database. and i have given the syntax below

brrestore -m all,c=C,E=C,F=D,G=D,H=E,I=E -b <file-id>.aff

and the control file recreation also stick to new version.

regards

bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes that should be fine.

Please award suitably.

Regards, Dibya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You will have to follow a redirected restore procedure for oracle rather than a normal restore.

For this you will have to do the following:

1. Take a full offline backup or an online consistent backup of your production database.

2. Backup control file to trace on your production server.

3. Display the back<SID>.log summary log in production and identify the u2018affu2019 or 'anf' file that was created for the production backup.

4. Copy the back<SID>.log and .aff/.anf files to the sapbackup directory of quality.

5. Now use the brrestore redirected option:

brrestore -m all,<source drive 1>=<target drive 1>,<source drive 2>= <target drive 2> -b <file-id>.aff

This performs a redirection of the file during brrestore operation.

6. Manipulate the control file trace you created above and change the drives accordingly. Rename it to control.sql

7. Then do the following:

>sqlplus /nolog

>connect / as sysdba

>@c:\control.sql

>shutdown immediate

>startup mount

>recover database using backup controlfile until cancel;

The recover part is only required if you have used a online backup.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Dibya