cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Demand Planning / BW 3.5 Data

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good Afternoon All,

I am a BW/BI Analyst and I am assisting with our APO proof of concept box. We currently have a BW 3.5 system running. In order to do the Demand Planning we are pulling data from our current BW system into the BI system in SCM/APO.

My question is....

Can we use a virtual cube to do demand planning?

Since we already have the data in our BW system, we don't want to have to replicate it in SCM/APO.

I have looked for documentation on this and have not found anything that gives me an answer for this question.

Thank you,

Caroline

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes..it is possible.. we did use the similar concept for SNP reporting...

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Caroline,

If you mean "Can we use a virtual cube to load data to planning area"...

Yes, but.

The source infocube must contain 9AVERSION characteristic. I doubt your BW cube does.

Regards,

Alexander

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, so it sounds like we cannot do a virtual cube....is a remote cube the same as a virtual cube? I notice that in the SCM system that there is three different kinds of virtual/remote cubes.

1. Based on Data Transfer Process for Direct Access (no transformation)

2. Based on BAPI (Conversion Exit)

3. Based on Function Module (Calculation)

Even if I use the 9 objects in the virtual/remote cube, we cannot do the planning?

I just want to be certain I give my CIO the correct information so that we know how to proceed.

Thank you,

Caroline

P.S. I will give more points 🐵

Former Member
0 Kudos

To get more clarity i will suggest to raise question to BI forum.

Manish

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is a question for Demand Planning which is not a part of BI. I will post the messages there but I am not sure how much help I will get. Thank you.

Caroline

Former Member
0 Kudos

Virtual Infoproviders are basically used for reporting purpose.VirtualProviders only allow read access to data. Please check this link.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/62/d2e26b696b11d5b2f50050da4c74dc/frameset.htm

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have looked at this and it still doesn't give a definitive answer. Thank you for the information...I appriciate it and will take it into my meeting next week and see what we come up with. Again, Thank you!

Former Member
0 Kudos

A virtual InfoCube with services is an InfoCube that does not have its own physical data storage in BW. A user-defined function module is used as a DataSource

You can use virtual InfoCube with services if you want to display data from non-BW data sources in BW without having to copy the data to the BW structures. The data can be either local or remote

So I guess you cannot use Virtual cube for Demand Planning.For more information on this please look at this link.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_bw30b/helpdata/en/62/d2e26b696b11d5b2f50050da4c74dc/content.htm