Did you mean: 

Assignment Help

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

In MDM we have full name stored as

FULL NAME1 : lastname , firstname

FULL NAME2: lastname firstname

in FULL NAME1 we have delimiter as , (comma)

can we run assignmet that when ever in Full name field we have delimiter as ,(comma) split last name and first name and assign last name to last name field and first name to first name field in MDM?

In there any other work around?

Kunal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kunal,

Kindly update your threads.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It can be done in two ways:

1. Manual: Using Assignments which is explained above by Jitesh. you can also automate this by including assignment in workflow.

2. Automatic: using calculated Expression in MDM Console. For firstname field use Property Calculated = Yes and in CALCULATED Expression write as RIGHT(FULL NAME1, FIND(FULL NAME1,",") SIMILARLY for lastname use Property Calculated = Yes and in Expression write as LEFT(FULL NAME1, FIND(FULL NAME1,",")-1)

Even i dnt know the purpose of having two fields which just give fullname which you maintained in your repository as

FULL NAME1 : lastname , firstname

FULL NAME2: lastname firstname

here i feel you just shud have one field FULLNAME rather than FULL NAME1 and FULL NAME2: which could be filled using either of the way as lastname , firstname or lastname firstname.

using Expression you too split this FULL NAME as firstname and lastname using expression for

firstname: IF(FIND(FULL NAME,","), RIGHT(FULL NAME, FIND(FULL NAME1,","), IF(FIND(FULL NAME," "), RIGHT(FULL NAME, FIND(FULL NAME1," ")+1)))

lastname: IF(FIND(FULL NAME,","), LEFT(FULL NAME, FIND(FULL NAME1,",")-1, IF(FIND(FULL NAME," "), RIGHT(FULL NAME, FIND(FULL NAME1," "))))

Hope it will Solve your Problem,

Thanks,

Mandeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ;

Sorry i think i have put it in the wrong way.

let me give you an example.

we have 3 fields FULL NAME , LAST NAME,FIRST NAME in MDM Main table.

now the records coming from source systems are mapped to FULL NAME.

i.e. if we have 2 records coming in to MDM from Source system it will be like this.

Records FULLNAME

R1 smith, john

R2 yong scott

if you notice the difference in two records , record1 has smith(last name) and John (first name) seperated by , (comma) and in case of record2 yong (last name) and scott (first name) are seperated by space.

Now requirement is that whenever in full name if you get record as record1 type i.e. names are seperated by ,(comma) than assign "smith" into LAST NAME field of MDM main table and "john" into FIRST NAME field of MDM main table.

But if record is of type record2 i.e. names are seperated by any delimiter other than ,(comma) ,in this case space than save that record in FULL NAME field only meaning no assignment needs to be done.

so assignment one needs to be done if its of record type R1( comma delimiter)

I hope now you will get the requirement correctly.

Kunal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kunal,

What I have posted above will serve your purpose because i am in Validation Expression we are checking if FULLNAME contains "," with the help of FIND() and if found then only assignment expressions will be executed else it will leave FULLNAME untouched.

Try the solution atleast once and kindly update us.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kunal,

Yes the requirement can be achieved.

Create two Assignment Expressions

1. Assignment Field would be Lastname and write the expression as RIGHT (FULLNAME, FIND(FULLNAME,","))

2. Assignment Field would be Firstname and write the expression as LEFT (FULLNAME, FIND(FULLNAME,",") -1)

Also you need to create a validation which checks whether FULLNAME contains "," and the expression would be IF (FIND(FULLNAME, ",") > 0).

Create one workflow and set the Trigger Action = Manual. Design of the workflow would be

Start -> Branch(Give the Validation name) -> Assign1 (Give first assignment name) -> Assign2 (Give second assignment name) -> Stop

Another Branch will go directly to Stop step.

In place on Assignment you need to execute the workflow. Its working as expected at my side.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja