cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preview displays correctly but export shows suppressed group footer lines

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm working in Crystal Reports 8.5 on a tax reporting file that's exported to character-separated values. The file contains employee and employer federal, state, and local wages and tax data.

In our database, we only have an employee field for FICA and FHI (federal), but we need to report the employer data as well. The employer data always matches the employee data.

The data is displayed in the report on Group Footer 4, but it's divided into 4a (wages) and 4b (taxes) sections. The wage on 4a is identified by a tax identifier on 4b. To solve my problem, I added 2 additional sections (4c and 4d), identical to 4a and 4b, except that the tax identifier on 4d is coded to display employer data any time it's equal to FHI or FICA.

I coded sections 4c and 4d (under the suppress option in the Section Expert) to suppress these two lines when the tax type isn't FHI or FICA.

When I preview the report, it displays perfectly. The export needs to be character-separated values, so I export it with no separator, no delimiter, same number formats and same date formats as in report. The exported file doesn't suppress sections 4c and 4d as coded in the report and as seen in the preview.

Please, help. Let me know if more info is needed.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

CR 8.5 is 10 years old. Upgrade to CR 2008 and it has both old and new functionality built in now.

Possible work around is exporting to PDF format.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Can you export to any other format(say pdf for e.g) and check whether the supress condition is working.

Currently we work on higher versions of crystal reports.so, could you please paste a screen shot of the "Separated Values Export Options" dialogue box here.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

The suppression works when exported to *.pdf or *.rtf. Unfortunately we need this file exported as some sort of plain text, because that's the only format our tax system excepts. And the alignment within this file is critical.

When exported to *.txt, the result is very different from what we need. Character Separated Values gives us the closest match to our end goal.

I can't seem to paste a screenshot, but when I export to character separated values, the first pop-up is titled Character-Separated Values and there are 2 text boxes: 1 for Separator and 1 for delimiter. The second pop-up is titled Number and Date Format dialog and there are 2 check boxes: 1 for same number formats as in report and 1 for same date formats as in report.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

After refering the knowledge base I came accross this piece of information:

Workaround:

To work around this behavior, export the report to Microsoft Excel format then save it as a CSV file.

Information:

CSV exporting (u2fsepv.dll) was implemented against Crystal Reports 4.5 code, which did not have conditional suppression. Conditional suppression was introduced as a feature in Crystal Reports 5.0. The tab-separated text export was written against the v5+ export interface and therefore supports conditional suppression. For this reason, conditional suppression is not something that could be added to u2fsepv.dll in a hotfix. This may be corrected in a future version but it is not considered a high priority.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

I too have run into this "bug" and it is quite a pain. I have road warriors that want reports emailed to them and they want formatting in the report so CSV is out of the question. I (they) can live with the blank line inserted between the detail rows, but what happens if my detail rows exceeds 32768 ? You are effectively creating two rows for each detail row; excel tops out at 65536 rows.

This to me is horribly broken. I am new to Crystal and I found this bug on the first day. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.