cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Crystal Reports support Ad Hoc queries?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm new to Business Objects and Crystal and I'm trying to publish our current Crystal Reports in InfoView. Our current solution allows the user to create an ad hoc query and pass it to the Crystal Report. Is there a way to do this in InfoView?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Art

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Thorugh Business View Manager you can make the ADHOC queries and Reporting.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nope.The Business View Manager creates and stores data sources, not reports.

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

Art,

Not sure what you mean here by Ad Hoc.

Users can run "On Demand" reports from Info View.

Assuming the user has rights, they can publish new "ad hoc" reports to CRS / BOE

But you can't "create" new reports from within Info View. That's what CR is for.

If you want, you can create a report with multiple parameters, that the user can populate to give the effect of an ad hoc report...

Hope this helps,

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your prompt reply. We have reports that users may or may not select any number of parameters. The report will be published in InfoView but the user needs to have an almost unlimited variety of selection criteria. I was just wondering if there was a way to formulate the SELECT statement so the Crystal Report could use it without me having to parameterize all the selection possibilities.

Art

Former Member
0 Kudos

Art,

I think I know what you are shooting for, and I think that it's possible. It's just going to take a fare bit of work to pull it off.

Keep in mind that the only way for an end user to input information into a published report is through parameters.

Theoretically, you could build a SQL command entirely out of parameters, all of the way down the the table names... perhaps even as far as different clauses (WHERE, GROUP BY, IN) ect... But I wouldn't want to try it...

I've heard of a SAP/BO product called Web Intelligence (or Webbi for short) I think it's designed to provide the functionality you are looking for. I've never used it and don't know too much about it, but it may be worth instigating. If it works, it would pay for itself in development time alone.

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

Were is a good link for Web Intelligence.

[http://www.businessobjects.com/product/catalog/web_intelligence/]

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jason,

Thanks for the info. That helps a lot.

Art