cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is There A Way To Republish A Report In CMC Without Deleting The Object?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We're using Business Objects Enterprise 11.5 to manage over 700 reports. Right now, whenever a user requests a change to a report (which happens several times a week) we go into CMC and delete the object completely, and create a new one. This seems pretty wasteful.

It seems to me like there should be some "Browse" function somewhere that would allow us to grab an updated .rpt file and replace the current one, but for the life of me I can't find it.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michael,

Yes. Choose "Save As" and then highlight the name of the old report in CMS and the new one

will replace the old without you having to delete it.

Norma

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The only way to overwrite an existing report is to use Crystal Reports. This is by design (SAP NOTE 1203990 - Updating an existing Crystal report in the CMC by clicking 'New Object' does not allow the option to replace an existing report).

The relevant text is below:

New objects can be added in BusinessObjects Enterprise through the CMC, Publishing Wizard, Import Wizard and Crystal Reports; however, Crystal Reports is the only tool that will allow you to overwrite existing objects with the same name.

This behavior is by design and has been as such since Crystal Enterprise 8

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's a pretty lousy design IMO.

Is it a true statement that connecting Crystal Reports in this way uses port 6400? Our IT department does not want us to open that port in a production environment (I don't know why, security is not my thing). Can you set it up to use another port?

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's a pretty lousy design IMO.

No comment

Crystal Reports needs to connect to the CMS, which by default listens on 6400. You can't force it to use another port, unless the CMS also listens on that port.

As for your IT dept not wanting that port open, the Import Wizard, Publishing Wizard, every client tool needs to connect to the CMS on this port (or the port the CMS listens on).

The gist is that Crystal Reports will have to connect to the CMS on 6400 (in your case).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it possible to set CMC to listen on another port? I don't know whether some other port may be more palatable to the IT department, but I'm just trying to see what options, if any, we may have.

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

You need connection to the CMS and the Input File Repository Server.

The CMS for authentication and retrieval of the report repository information, and the Input File Repository Server to update the rpt file with the new one.

You'd specify the requestPort on both CMS and Input FRS, and open up the firewall for those ports.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

As Ted indicated, you could add force the CMS to listen on a different port using the -requestport command line switch.

That said, I don't quite think that will satisfy your IT team because for all needs and purposes you still have a port open in Production.