Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When trying to change UoM an error was encountered

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SAP Guru,

Good day to all of you.

We are trying to change a certain material's unit of measure, however, we cannot push through for we are having this message:

The base unit of measure cannot be changed.

The reason for this are:

Independent requirements are already assigned to the material.

We checked on the materials but there were no existing independent requirements. Kindly advise on how we could proceed with the changing of UoM.

Thanks and regards,

JMT

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can use MD76 to delete history & independent Requirement.

Regards,

Wong MF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I checked on MD63 and found that there were no longer independent requirements for the material. However, i checked on table PBIM and found that that there are requirements pointer. Do you think this is the one restricting us from changing the UoM of the material? if yes, how may we able to delete the requirement pointers?

Thank you.

JMT

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

To tell the truth I don't know...

If you have no PIR, your record in PBIM should be deleted (PBIM-LOEVR). After archiving this record, you can try to change your material master...

If you do not get any better suggetion, you can try it.

(E.g. if you want to change to split valuation and you have existing batch master records, you can carry out the change only after the archiving of those records - maybe this is similar, but as I told you I do not know...)

Csaba

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear ,

Have you deleted all BOM routings where this material has been used ? If not then do . Also check all open orders if exists and delete .

Neal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check if you have a BOM for that material or you have used it as a component in a BOM. We had faced the same issue and this was the problem.

Also check MD04 and see if there any open reservation or orders created.

If you are not able to resolve the error, the solution is to create a new material having correct Base UOM and then doing material-to-material movement to transfer the existing inventory. After that delete the incorrect material so that you cannot use it.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In SAP, once you create a material with certain UOM measure, then later if you want to change the UOM, it is not possible in SAP. Before creating the material itself you should be clear, which UOM you want to use. Later it is not possible to change the UOM. Sorry, we can't help you in this case.

Regards,

V. Suresh

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jasmin,

Where did you check that no PIR has been created for that material?

Please check tables: PBED, PBIM, PBHI, PBIC, maybe you have records in them...

I don't know how to handle this situation exacly, but general rule concerning archiving is that you should mark every record (transactional data) for deletion, if it is not enough, you should archive them.

Just an idea.

Regards,

Csaba