cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Defined Data Classes on Cluster Tables?

former_member184709
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I noticed that there is no option within db13 to change the storage option to a customer defined data class, for cluster tables. I am sure this is by design but wanted to check to see if anyone has had any luck defining a data class on a cluster table.

We could move a cluster table to a DB2 tablespace and define the new Data Class through dbacockpit/db02, but there is no option to change the data class definition in the data dictionary (se13) to use the new Data Class for the table itself.

Mainly what we are aiming for is to be able to move 2 tables into their own tablespaces on the target server, during a migration. Sapinst is looking at the Data Classes to create DDLDB6.XML, which defines the tablespace assignments to the target server, so perhaps there is a preferred method of making this change, if it does exist.

Thanks for any insights,

Derek

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Derek,

Definately there should be a way to create a dataclass. In SE13 you could able to assign the table to data class if the tabart is already created. you can directly create a tabart by creating entry in table tadb6, if it is db6 database(naming convention for table is TA<DB TYPE>). if you already exported and you want to import certain tables in different table spaces still you can do it with minimal customainzation of your XML files. add entry for your new table spaces / data classes in DDLDB6.XML and change the data class for the tables the corresponding STR file. (Identiy STR file based on original dataclass, no need to create seperate str file).

Thanks,

Kiran.

former_member184709
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

Thanks for the helpful answers. I should add some more detail.

Our tablespaces have already been moved to new tablespaces on the source system, with DB6CONV, and we have updated our data classes through db02, with no problems. So sapinst uses the data class definitions to create the custom tablespaces, and then uses the data class assignments to assign the table to a tablespace.

However, the cluster tables do not seem to support the data class assignment in se13, the option is not available as it is for normal tables. Let me see if I can post a screenshot somewhere with a cluster table versus a normal table. For example, there is no option to change the data class for table CDCLS in se13.

I am wondering if this is a limitation of the version of R/3 we are using, or if the limitation for cluster tables is something that is intended on all versions of R/3.

If we can't use db13 to make the assignment, we may try the custom definition in the STR file as Kiran mentioned.

former_member184709
Participant
0 Kudos

I checked with SAP support and looks like there is no way to alter a data class for a cluster table through se13.

I think we will try to create new data classes through db02, and then alter the STR file on the 2 tables, to get created in the new tablespaces.

Sergiy,

Thanks for your response. I believe those methods would work, however in our case, the two cluster tables are taking a very long time to load into our target database. So, we want to move them into their own tablespaces, during import, so we can save time during our conversion. We will have a limited amount of time to move our data, so getting those 2 tables to process at the same time, is very critical.

Moving large tables out to their own tablespaces during the export/import phases has saved us a large amount of time.

I will keep everyone posted on how things go.

former_member184709
Participant
0 Kudos

Looks like we were able to insert a cluster table into a custom tablespace, during SAPinst:

1. Edit DBSIZE.XML and add lines for tablespace

2. Edit DDLDB6.TPL and add data class for tablespace definition

3. Edit *.STR file for the particular table to point it to the data class in DDLDB6.TPL

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

it will be a bit complicated to move two separate tables to the new tablespace during system mitgration with SAPInst.

SAPInst creates export structures for R3load and performs data export in a single workflow (same is true for import), and it's complicated to interrupt the SAPInst before the actual export to perform required manipulations with the definitions of two single tables.

Is it an option for you to migrate the tables "as is", and then use one of the numerous methods (LOAD from cursor, R3load, report DB6CONV, "online table move" etc...) to move the tables to the required tablespace?

Kind regards,

Sergiy Malikov.