Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implementing "Open Text" ECM (Enterprise Content Management)

former_member189629
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Experts,

My company is implementing Open Text ECM for AP process automation. Can anyone explain the role of an ABAPer in this scenario.

NW

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ian_maxwell2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Depends on what you are doing.

If you are just looking to setup the archivelink scenarios to allow for the attaching of stored documents to buisness transactions in SAP then there isn't much of a need for an ABAP programmer. In this case there is just configuration required.

If you are looking to do something that is more fancy and not out of the box then you may need an ABAP programmer to design and build various items including:

- Workflows

- Enhancments to standard transactions

- Batch programs and interfaces

It really all depends on what you are trying to do.

~Ian

2 REPLIES 2

ian_maxwell2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Depends on what you are doing.

If you are just looking to setup the archivelink scenarios to allow for the attaching of stored documents to buisness transactions in SAP then there isn't much of a need for an ABAP programmer. In this case there is just configuration required.

If you are looking to do something that is more fancy and not out of the box then you may need an ABAP programmer to design and build various items including:

- Workflows

- Enhancments to standard transactions

- Batch programs and interfaces

It really all depends on what you are trying to do.

~Ian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Our company uses IXOS(now Open Text) for some AP process automation. At our site the invlovelment of an ABAP developer is limited. Some custom reports were written to provide certain audit functions(eg show scanned and barcoded documents that have not been linked to an SAP document). There is also a workflow component, although this is quite small and is really just the implementaion of an SAP delivered workflow. The other thing that I (as an ABAP develper ) am involved in is server administration for the archive server. Not so much the physical server as the archive server applciation. I have also been involved in client software installation and configuration( viewer and scan clients).

To sum up, in my experience there has not been that much pure ABAP work involved. However, the support of this application sort of falls into a 'grey' area in our company. It is not really SAP functional and not purely server administration. Perhaps 'cross functional' may be a good word. The bottom line was tha no one knew who to get to support it so they gave it to an ABAP developer.

Hope that helps a bit. I know your experience wiil probably be different.

Regards

Greg Kern.