cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a SQL Server database instance for repository

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My customer is using a non-default instance on SQL server as their database and want to place the repository here. There are no problems creating and connecting to the repository from the Designer. I simply define the server as "SERVER\INSTANCE" and I can connect OK.

The problem occurs in the Management Console, when I try to create an entry for this new repository. The Add process returns a Java error, telling me that the connection is being refused. I have checked, and re-checked, that all of the inputs are correct. I believe that this has something to do with the fact that the repository is an instance, rather than just the default database instance.

I have tried various differing ways of entering the server and database strings, with no positive result. I tried entering the following in the Server and Database entry fields:

SERVER\INSTANCE with DATABASENAME

SERVER
INSTANCE with DATABASENAME

SERVER/INSTANCE with DATABASENAME

INSTANCE@SERVER with DATABASENAME

SERVER.INSTANCE with DATABASENAME

SERVER with INSTANCE\DATABASENAME

SERVER with INSTANCE.DATABASENAME

All give an error - some return a "connection refused", some return a "server not found" error.

Any recommendation short of re-installing the database as a default instance would be appreciated.

DI and SQL Server reside on the same server running Windows 2003 Server R2 SE with SP2. Management Console runs in Apache Tomcat 5.5 on the same box.

Regards,

Derek.

Edited by: Derek Stobbart on Oct 1, 2008 5:14 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

scott_broadway
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Derek,

The Management Console does not support the \INSTANCE syntax -- the reason is that it uses JDBC to connect to repositories. When you add a SQL Server repository to the Management Console, note that it is asking you for hostname, port, and database name. You will need to provide it the port that the instance is running on (e.g. default=1433). You can get this from the person who administers the SQL Server instance.

Thanks,

~Scott

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks.

All is right with the world now.

Edited by: Derek Stobbart on Oct 1, 2008 7:36 PM